With CDL & Pin 7 mod. when can you engage.....

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by flintknapper, Jul 14, 2005.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

I understand the CDL/Pin 7 mod., getting ready to do this tomorrow.

My questions are: Can you shift from high range to low and back with the CDL locked?

Can you engage and disengage the CDL while on the move in either range?

Or... are these maneuvers made separately (stop vehicle, select range, select CDL mode)?

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Yup.

Yup.
    Nope.

3. flintknapper

flintknapper

Dan, has anyone ever told you...... you're a brilliant conversationalist?

Talk about a man of few words!

If I could just get my wife to be so concise.

4. cruiserdan

Can't

5. flintknapper

flintknapper

Thats "cain't...." here!

Thanks for putting my parts order together (job well done).

6. MaddBaggins

MaddBaggins Remember the KnightRider!

Media:
    Albums:
    With my pin 7 mod done, once I get offroad, i run in 4lo and when i can't get thru something, then I engage the center diff. If I can't get thru it then, i back up and change my line a little. :cheers:

7. flintknapper

flintknapper

Madd, not to criticize....but I generally select the mode I think will be required BEFORE I attempt the terrain. Admittedly, my cruiser has not seen much off-road use "yet" because its my wifes DD and I don't get my hands on it very much.
    Perhaps these things are much more capable than I realize....but 35 yrs. of off roading has conditioned me to "be in 4WD" before "you need 4WD". I really like having a winch on a vehicle also.

Anyway, thank you for the input.

8. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll second that suggestion...I used to run with a few guys who thot the purpose of wheelin was to see how far you could get in 2wd first, then shift into 4wd...3-4 attempts at a steep climb, a few nasty ruts later, and they'd finally hit the lever. (I was occasionally funny when the shift into 4 didn't get them unstuck tho...)

It DOES depend on your approach tho...I notoriously am in 2wd with my FJ40 and forget it's there....hit an obstacle and can't do it, but I also quit immediately to minimize impact and am generally a slow/lazy wheeler anyways...hard to do much damage at idle in low range....

Good notes on the CDL engagement tho...my tweaks are done, but haven't played with the switches much yet :D

9. CharlieS

CharlieS

One thing I noticed on mine since the CDL switch (not sure if this is normal) is that when you turn the CDL on the ABS light comes on (ABS disabled) but if you're driving down the road, the ABS remains disabled when you turn the CDL off. The ABS doesn't come back until I shut the rig down.

Not sure if this is by design, but it is kinda cool if you want the ABS disabled for some reason (ie. rough dirt road travel).

I didn't do the pin7 mod yet.

Charlie

10. cruiserdan

It depends on how fast you went. There is a threshold speed ( around 35 mph I think) that locks out ABS until the vehicle is shut off. It you do not exceed that speed it will come back on line without shutting down the vehicle.

11. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

since these subtleties are usually forgotten in a short time by me for sure and possibly others, I suggest that in doubt it may be a good idea to take the conservative approach, i.e. stop the vehicle, put it in N etc, before doing any locking, shifting in low, or whatever while underway so as to avoid the gnarly grind...

12. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

So E,

If in doubt just stop?

Actually that's not that bad advice at all if you forget.

B

13. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

of course, I'm a weenie.
    If one wants to live dangerously, one could always try to put it Low on the freeway and see if you can time it just right to switch between 2 teeth... :D

j/k, don't try this at home folks, reserved for pros only!

14. flintknapper

flintknapper

I'll probably do that most of the time. I was curious more than anything else. I can shift between high and low range on my other two vehicles (manually) with no problems and they are conventional 4WD (same as having CDL).

I just don't want my wife to reach up there and push the CDL switch at 70 mph. on the highway! I know this is a matter of schooling, but I'm dealing with someone who only wants to know how the radio and A/C buttons work and nothing else.

Maybe I could paint the switch "safety orange" or put a toggle switch cover over it!
    Its darn sure going on the left, even if it means lengthening wires.

Oh well, a couple more years and we'll put her in a 100 and the 80 will be mine all mine!

15. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

LOL! :flipoff2: Nice E. I'm gonna call my new band Teeth No More. Sound catchy?

Hey I Flint,
    I've found that most of the trails I run are not so hard until you come to an obstacle that is hard. Make sense? Sounds stoopid. Anyway, unlike running trails like the 'con or some that I've done in CO or UT where you need it locked most of the time I run my CDL off just because it's a little easier on the drivetrain. That's the way it feels anyway. When I lock the CDL my birfs click and that freaks me out so I try to leave it unlocked as much as possible, but, never on an obstacle. Oh and lock it up well before you get there so it has time to fully engage. Kinda like the diffs, I've noticed it takes a few feet sometimes.

B

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.