with $1000 budget, first thing to do to a 91 stock LC ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've had my 80 for 2 years now and finally extra money for it. my tires will last until april and my 3fe will last until... well it probably wont ever die. but what would be the best $1000 upgrade; lift, tires, v8 swap, arb bumper, lockers ? i live in the snow and ice btw:)

If your tires are shot in a month, it sounds like that's your purchase.

i'm already getting tires (the sale is pending) for super cheap used. this literaly just happened 5 minutes ago

Start to baseline your rig, perhaps a front/rear axle rebuild and see what's left.

Perhaps you can throw an Aussie locker in the rear while you have the axles out. Won't have much left between those two, and you won't be doing the Aussie if a birfield needs replaced.

You won't do a V8 swap or F and R air lockers for a grand. You could do a lunchbox rear and some used lift parts for a G. That's the route I would go with your budget.

<Shameless Plug> I will be selling some lift components... They should be up next week sometime

Barring any maintenance requirements (front axle?) I'd recommend looking at what the best "investment" for your purposes will be.

Need more clearance? - lift it.
Want to winch/protect it? - front bumper.
Want to run some decent trails stock and protect the it? - sliders, skid plate.
Want stuff on the roof? - roof rack.
Want to sleep inside? - build a drawer system.
Want brighter lights? - HIR's/Harness upgrade.

Of course, you could play it out and try to pick up stuff used. That's how I built my '92, and it was pretty rewarding after I got it to where I needed it. Used= more stuff, over longer period of time. I always keep my "cruiser fund" in cash at home and scan MUD and CL for stuff.

I'd say set the cash aside until you stumble on something you have to have. If you're going to wheel it, I'd say armor her up. If you want it to look cool, the front bumper / lift / tires is the way to go.

If you have not already done the baseline maint then I agree on that. Otherwise if tires are covered I would get a front bumper.

Since you have owned it two years, I am guessing that you have replaced fluids, belts, and hoses that may have be spouting the fountain of youth. Given this, I would go for a pair of sliders. Protection is key.

Buy a welder, a cutting torch, and a grinder. and use any left overs to buy metal. Then you can have bumpers, skids, sliders (get someone to bend the tube), and so on.

I think you should get a train horn, so next time an ignorant driver/pedestrian gets in your way you can scare the :censor: out of them... :lol:

Or new wheels... I always thought the stock wheels on 91 & 92 models needed some improvement.

I'd say suspension. This made the biggest day to day difference on my truck. Riding on sagged out stock springs and blown shocks is horrible. You don't realize until you get the new suspension, then bang, huge improvement. Plus, you are already getting tires, if you want bigger ones get the lift.

thanks for all the responses dudes, all my fluids have been taken care of and i just did an oil change at my local mechanic and he said everything is pretty much good, could do a front axle rebuild next year. the tires are 315/75R16 bfg all terrains (i'm running fzj wheels). oh and 30mm MAF spacers are on the way already to even out the height. should i do a lift because the tires are so big ?

thanks for all the responses dudes, all my fluids have been taken care of and i just did an oil change at my local mechanic and he said everything is pretty much good, could do a front axle rebuild next year. the tires are 315/75R16 bfg all terrains (i'm running fzj wheels). oh and 30mm MAF spacers are on the way already to even out the height. should i do a lift because the tires are so big ?

If your talking 315's best to get a 2.5" or higher lift before any crazy wheelin.

Baselined...knuckle rebuild...lift since you have 315s...armor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom