wish me luck: smog refs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
got my appointment for the certification of my vortec swap tomorrow... hope it all goes well, and then I'll be Cali legal!

shouldnt be that difficult if you used all stock equipment. when i went to have my 350 tbi certified the only thing they dinged me for was a gas cap not being correct somehow. they told me a part number (or some id if i remember right)and i went and got one and it was done. they even commented on how nice an install i had done.

good luck but it should be a slam dunk if done properly

one love
jah bill

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does changing from an auto trans to a manual trans cause any problems in California? I've heard people having trouble because they didn't have the correct trans for the engine conversion.

Cam

Good luck dude...
He JB how long ago did you do your conversion?

93561Cruiser I dont think this would be aproblem. Unless the ECU was not programmed correctly. But Im not expert on this, maybe someone else can chime in on this....

Not trying to hijack the thread, but does changing from an auto trans to a manual trans cause any problems in California? I've heard people having trouble because they didn't have the correct trans for the engine conversion.

Cam

I does not matter.

>He JB how long ago did you do your conversion?

about four years ago.

i seem to remember someone saying there were issues if you went with a standard trans when the car came with an auto or vice versa or something...i didnt pay any attention really because i just went from the stock toyota 4 speed to a 5 speed...

one love
jah bill

oh one thing i just now remember, there were some "check engine" light codes still in the computer from before the swap or from when i was setting the sbc up. they didnt like that. so before i went back i disconnected the battery for a few minutes to clear the codes and that was all cool when i went back.

in other words, i had zero major issues despite fearing the worst.

one love
jah bill

Good luck, Your conversion is way clean I don't think you will have any issues.

Give me a call latter and let me know how it went.

Dynosoar :zilla:

well. the wind took the power out, so I have to go back tomorrow...

the tech that looked under the hood didn't say anything bad- he just asked about the exhaust configuration and if it had any codes- I'll take that as a good sign so far, we'll see how it goes if they have power tomorrow.......

Sooooooooo....

(drum roll goes here)

it passed!

visual- he only told me to label my check engine light, which I'll do ASAP.
on the functional, I BARELY squeaked by on the HCs- I'm not sure my new cats were getting hot enough. Max HCs for the application were 51ppm, and I had EXACTLY 51 at the low RPM test:D :D :D :D everything else was well below Max, but still a little above average- things looked even better at higher RPMs.

most important though is that it's freaking legal:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

the tech was REALLY cool and didn't seem to be drunk with power... he even told me about some of the swaps he's seen... IE an early Miata with a Lexus SC400 V8, some supercharged kit cars, etc... also most of his referrals are for citations/fix-it-tickets on the import/tuner crowd...loud pipes cost money:rolleyes:

OK, happy rant over.

Congrats! That is awesome. good job.

Dynosoar :zilla:

I can relate, it's a great feeling. My 40 was desmogged when I got it with a box of smog gear in the back. It took me months to get it passed. I have since done a frame swap, and reregistered as a 71, so no more smog.

My 60 failed for the first time this year. $1000 later (Jim C carb, new Toyota Cat, new temp sensor, new vacuum hoses) it passed. What a PIA.

It makes me want to move to rural Nevada.

WAY TO GO PHILOS!!! Told you no worries. I guess you won't be paying for the I CAN GET YOU A STICKER GUY anymore. Good looking install Iwill keep an eye out for your next project.

thanks guys!, now to get those HCs down to your levels Dynosoar!

Congrats dude.....!!

Philos,

The best way to get them down is to get the cats nice and hot (1,000 F). But hay you passed and got you BAR sticker. Thats what counts.

Dynosoar

cruiser drew: two words: sierra county.

you would be amazed what a little imagination and a yearly trip to stand in line at the dmv will do for you.

how do i know? 74 VW Thing with 2 litre built motor, cam, crank, dual webers, never smogged...and that was over a 20 year period.

if im not being clear and you want details, send me a pm.

or just get fuel injection and many problems are solved. course you might need another motor with that efi.

one love
jah bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93561Cruiser

Cam

I does not matter.

It does matter!!

There was never a manual transmission offered behind a 350 tbi in California. The ref will not pass it. It must be an auto.
South Dakota doesn’t care though and you can use a CA mailing address. $39 a year license fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom