Wisdom Turns Folly (WTF). 1973/75/76/78 Mashup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I‘m at a loss. I can not get the engine mounts to line up with the frame.

12/1972 frame for FJ40

2F engine with four speed from a 1978 55 series Pig.

Am I missing something?

78EE8A61-2375-4A26-95EF-64831D79F307.jpeg

D8BC376B-21B9-4356-BC9D-0AFE744D22DA.jpeg

A43D3E3E-CF0A-44CE-B20E-89A2E448EE31.jpeg

BCCF61BE-C459-465D-9682-E3DCB2EDFEB7.jpeg

73321517-BEAE-43B1-878E-5ACACA1E3318.jpeg

we got the engine mounts to semi line up. The trans mounts are from a 55 and need to be changed over to 40 style. I think that will help with alignment.

No new news. Parked the rig at a friends storage facility while I sort out the house and life. Too many projects spread me to thin and I kinda lost the desire to do anything for fun. Stay tuned as I decide on whether or not to reinforce the rear end with ruff stuff box kit (leaning towards this) and how on earth to mount the power steering pump to a 2F engine that does not have the taped holes (or any for that matter) on the drivers side.

A94CAC5C-FA5C-4488-A8B2-C2BA439EE94A.jpeg

D0A3FEE3-CF01-4E28-8A8B-FCEA85F9B85B.jpeg

Stay tuned as I decide on whether or not to reinforce the rear end with ruff stuff box kit (leaning towards this) and how on earth to mount the power steering pump to a 2F engine that does not have the taped holes (or any for that matter) on the drivers side.
On my '71 and '76 FJ40s I mounted a mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump on the smog pump bracket, and a mid-'80s mini truck PS gearbox on a custom mount (upper part of mini-truck bracket welded to lower part of FJ40 bracket). The set-up works great as long as you don't run too big of a tire. Holds up well during challenging off-roading like this:

MERUS Hill Climb.jpg

On my '71 and '76 FJ40s I mounted a mid-'80s Tercel 4WD hatchback PS pump on the smog pump bracket, and a mid-'80s mini truck PS gearbox on a custom mount (upper part of mini-truck bracket welded to lower part of FJ40 bracket). The set-up works great as long as you don't run too big of a tire. Holds up well during challenging off-roading like this.
The power steering setup is from an 60 series. Did you customize the smog pump bracket? If so, any pictures of the bracket?

The power steering setup is from an 60 series. Did you customize the smog pump bracket? If so, any pictures of the bracket?
I used an assortment of nylon and steel sleeves and washers from the local hardware store to fit the pump to the stock smog pump bracket. I'll try to dig up some photos.

Amassing parts. Short trip to Chesney, SC last weekend to visit @NCFJ to pick up a 1FZ-FE runner out of a 1997 80 series. I can not thank you enough Stan!! Spent the night prior with @roadstr6 at his crib. Great jumping off point and awesome crawler.

IMG_4898.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

So there are several 2F’s going out the door and a lot of related parts headed to the for sale section soon. Gotta fund the madness by getting rid of some greatness.

El’cheap’o engine hoist must be reinforced and time must be taken to savor the moments before I drop this fat b@stard on the shop floor.

IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_4904.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

Lets hope it has that 60 rear end we discussed.

@FJ Noob I have ordered the rear box kit for a 40 series and four outriggers. Your donation to the cause will officially be part of Project Wisdom Turns Folly. I am thinking and hoping to move the rear 60 series axle (that has that God-awful silver paint you put on it :)) back as much as possible so the the rear driveshaft can have some room to breathe. Thank you. Now to determine if the 1978 40 axles can give up some if their goodness or if they are better off being sold for more parts. Memory is telling me about Monte Carlo calipers for the rear and some dude with a handle of pacer65? Stay tuned for the glacial pace I promised.

@FJ Noob I have ordered the rear box kit for a 40 series and four outriggers. Your donation to the cause will officially be part of Project Wisdom Turns Folly. I am thinking and hoping to move the rear 60 series axle (that has that God-awful silver paint you put on it :)) back as much as possible so the the rear driveshaft can have some room to breathe. Thank you. Now to determine if the 1978 40 axles can give up some if their goodness or if they are better off being sold for more parts. Memory is telling me about Monte Carlo calipers for the rear and some dude with a handle of pacer65? Stay tuned for the glacial pace I promised.
Well…that’s awesome, but the silver was the primer for the black top coat. I still have the unopened can. $250 gets you the paint and a free set of axles 🤣

RuffStuff rear frame box kit and four frame mounted outriggers arrived as advertised. Outriggers are beefy to put it mildly. The 1/4” thickness will max out my puny Hobart Handler 140.

Lined up a used transmission mount and transmission skid plate from @4LowandSlow and hoping to Mudship to Carolina Relic Run in April (shameless plug for @roadstr6 to help when he stops by there).

Plans are to sure up the rear frame, mark suspension mount area on frame, burn off rear suspension mounts, bolt the leaf springs to the 60 axle, eyeball the front outriggers, tack the front mounts, then eyeball the rear outriggers and shackle mounts to have proper alignment so WTF is not heading down a trail sideways. Best laid plans…….when I ran three beads on the suspension. Grinder and plasma in my future.

IMG_2626.jpeg

Question to the metallurgists in the crowd: outriggers are new steel, frame has been treated with Coraseal rust converter, etching primer, and John Deere blitz black paint. Obviously new clean steel is best but how far into the coraseal conversion should/could I go to ensure a good bond for old to new steel with my glue gun?

what transmission are you planning? FJ60 rear axle with the rear springs flipped is a great plan, I have done that setup a few times, but you will want to leave the original drums as those are going to be your E-brake.

@cruisermatt the rear drums are staying. I read and reread your use of 70 series parts. Really awesome but cost of parts put that dream out of reach for now. Definitely using 60 series rear axle emergency brake setup. Using the entire 1997 1FZ-FE engine, transmission, transfer case set up hence the need to flip the springs.

Also have an 80 series rear crossmember cut out to sure up the rear frame. Not real sure it’s necessary but it fits the WTF theme.

Question to the metallurgists in the crowd: outriggers are new steel, frame has been treated with Coraseal rust converter, etching primer, and John Deere blitz black paint. Obviously new clean steel is best but how far into the coraseal conversion should/could I go to ensure a good bond for old to new steel with my glue gun?
grind until we see bare metal. And we wont be eyeballing the out riggers lol

1706721651039.png

@cruisermatt the rear drums are staying. I read and reread your use of 70 series parts. Really awesome but cost of parts put that dream out of reach for now. Definitely using 60 series rear axle emergency brake setup. Using the entire 1997 1FZ-FE engine, transmission, transfer case set up hence the need to flip the springs.

The 70 series drums and 60 series drums are essentially the same parts, just new. all of the 60 series parts are available new as well. Nothing wrong with what you are doing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom