Wiring woes and the like (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay wiring Gurus here it is. Just got through doing a tub swap on my 1967. I have a SBC in it. My question is this: I am using a painless wiring harness and everything has gone pretty easy so far but now i have this snag. After searching the forum I have discovered that the guages are 7v. What I want to know is this. Is the voltage stepped down internally in the guage or guages? Or is there another voltage regulator that I am missing? (I am putting this cruiser together out of literally boxes and not a complete vehicle):rolleyes: If the voltage is stepped down internally can I throw 12v to the common yellow wire on the back of the guage cluster or will I blow the guages? I am also working on the assumption that the wires leading out to the senders work as the ground for each subsystem. Is that in fact correct? Also, as far as the fuel sender goes is it safe to assume that the center post of the sender goes to the ful guage and one of the perimeter bolts can serve as the ground? Thanks in advance:cool:

I'm running 12v to my gauges. Never noticed anything about 7v. Seem to work fine. Maybe one of the gauges steps it down as they are wired via the same feed wire. And yes, you're applying full time power to the gauge and the other line is the line that goes to the sender (variable ground). The center post on the fuel sender goes to the gauge and I did use one of the outer screws to ground it to the body. I'm using the EZ Harness, which is similar in setup to the Painless. I still have a few odds and ends to hook-up, but it starts, runs, gauges work and it lights up now. Have fun with it. Just remember, the better job you do routing, grounding and protecting the harness now, the less you'll have to worry about it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom