Wiring up small acc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess this is kinda tech but its so basic i wanted to leave it out of there.

I have an 80 and am starting add small accesories like a cb, map light, etc.
Currently the cb is wiring directly to the battery. Would it be better to wire this small stuff up with the fuse box, if so....can anyone give some directions without adding an aux fuse box. Sorry this is so basic and simple. Just wasnt sure if i could just tap into the oe fuse box and if so, how?

Thanks

You definately want to use a fuse box between your battery and your devices. You can get them at most auto parts stores...NAPA, Kragen, Pep Boys,etc. Plus it will function as a distribution panel cleaning up your engine bay from all the wires running to the battery. I just ran a circuit to the rear of my 100 using 10-guage high qual wiring (1-hot and 1-ground) from my battery (2nd) to the fuse box/distribution box. If you do a search for 2nd battery, power plug, etc. you'll turn up plenty of info and pics.

I have done a little searching and it seems like the best bet would just be to add a second fuse box, like on slee's site. Right now my amp and cb are wired right to the battery but im guessing a 2nd fuse boxe would be a better spot for them? also, i'd like to wiring the cb up for if i shut off the ignition, it will cut off too.

ok, final question. I'm looking at a few on summits site. some have a certain amount of hot connections and some just igntion. What will the cb, maplight, amp run off of? in other words do i need more hot one or ign? or is it personal preference.

thanks

It's personal preference, turning everything off with the key is sometimes good, but other times it's a pain to have to get the key to use it. My CB is wired hot so I can monitor it when parked on the trail.

Cruiserhead,
I agree with the fuse box with the exception for running a CB. From what I understand the main cb pwr wire should be run straight to the battery (every cb I have seen has a fuse integrated to the stock wire it comes with. If no fuse inline then fuse box it. I need to get a second fuse box myself.

Sam

Sam, thanks...that makes sense. So how bout this...my amp has an inline fuse, do i really need to use the aux fuse box for it or is it fine to run it directly to the battery?

I'm guessing the Summit fuse block has two hot busses, one for Ign and one straight to 12Vdc.

Here is how I would do it. Use a relay from the Ign buss to 12Vdc, run the relay control to 12V switched from the ignition switch. Wire the 12Vdc straight to the battery. This will prevent you from overloading the ignition switch with a lot of accesories.

Any auto wiring is designed to handle the factory load and a little more (the spares on your fuse block). Adding a bunch of after market stuff will over load the wiring an dfuse block. You can run everything straight to the battery but, as has been mentioned, your engine compartment will look like a technicolor bowl of pasta.

RE CB power or electronics power in general, filter circuits should be installed as close to the point of use as possiable. As to wiring it through the Ing side or to 12Vdc, I'd go straight to 12Vdc. A CB in standby uses very little current, so even if you forget and leave it on you shouldn't drain the battery in a properly functioning system.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Sam, thanks...that makes sense. So how bout this...my amp has an inline fuse, do i really need to use the aux fuse box for it or is it fine to run it directly to the battery?

Leave the amp as is with the inline fuse and holder. Unless it is a really, really small amp you are better off with 100+Amp fuse and larger guage wiring by running it direct. Run the small draw stuff off of the fuse box IMO.

spressomon said:
Leave the amp as is with the inline fuse and holder. Unless it is a really, really small amp you are better off with 100+Amp fuse and larger guage wiring by running it direct. Run the small draw stuff off of the fuse box IMO.
I keep forgetting about the bag arse amps peopel like nowadays, pick up some #0 cable from the welding supply place for that. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom