Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.durangomagazine.com
I am about to begin a ground up re-wiring job using a painless kit and I'm planning on using factory switches. &nbsp:Does anyone know of a source that diagrams out which spade goes where, or does what, on the factory hardware (headlight, wiper, heater, hazard switches). 1976 FJ40 but my swiches are from and unknow vintage 40.

I have found that in my rewiring the factory chassis and body manual is the most helpful It has detailed drawings of the plugs on the switches and describes what wire goes where and what color of wire it is. I have a 69 FJ40 and this manual has helped me out like none other.

dont have the factory manual yet, but have heard its the best for wiring.  dont use chiltons.  i used it to start with in rewiring mine and it worked fine for some things, but made for a lot of head banging towards the end.  think theres a diagram on here that was decent.  long as the plugs on your factory harness are good use them and solder your new wires to them, using the colors to tell with the diagram.
it was my first wiring job, and i originally used butt connectors, and am going back in and soldering everything important.
I would recommend soldering everything from the start, everything ive seen on here does too.  dont know why painless doesnt recommend it in the instructions.

good luck.

I would suggest the factory diagram. I used Haynes and Like the Chiltons it was good some times but very hard other times. I would also recommend buying or borrowing a good voly meter the kind with settings for volts and ohms. It helped me out tremendously. It also helps you understand your wiring a lot better. Thats just my 2 cents. :beer: good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom