Wiring question: FJ60 starter to FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I posted recently about replacing my starter (thanks for all the info. to all those you helped). I got an FJ60 starter to put in from Classic Cruisers - but I'm confused about how to wire it. It bolted in like a charm, but I'm not quite sure about how the wires hook up to it. Can someone help a novice like me? (i.e., the simpler the better for explanation for me, thanks)

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm hoping to get her up and running tomorrow.

Cheers,
Kevin
77FJ40 2F

Welcome.

You have the positive lead from the battery that will attach to the 8mm stud on the side of the solenoid housing. There is also a male spade connector,(on the solenoid housing) that may or may not have been a similar connection on your wire going to the old starter solenoid, (some are ring terminals). The connection on the new starter may look like it would take a locking-type connector, you can put a female spade connector on your wire if you do not already have one, plug it in, and you should be ready to go.

klear as mudd? ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Welcome.

You have the positive lead from the battery that will attach to the 8mm stud on the side of the solenoid housing. There is also a male spade connector,(on the solenoid housing) that may or may not have been a similar connection on your wire going to the old starter solenoid, (some are ring terminals). The connection on the new starter may look like it would take a locking-type connector, you can put a female spade connector on your wire if you do not already have one, plug it in, and you should be ready to go.

klear as mudd? ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks, Steve. I think I know what you are referring to, but let me ask you a few more questions if I could. On my old starter, I had the main lead from the battery to a middle post in the solenoid, then two other connections on either side. Then also a ground from (?? can't remember now) to the frame or thereabouts.

I do see a male spade connector. Is that for the main lead? And I will need to buy connector to modify the main lead (ring type). Can I get that anywhere? Are there sizes to know about? Also, the post under that spade connector might be for ground? Or is that a ring connector for the main lead? (sorry I'm so new on all this)

Last, the two connections from either side of the old solenoid - go to the same place? Also different connectors there, but I could make it work.

Hmm, not quite as "plug and play" as I was hoping, but...I can do this, right???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom