Wiring question/ Advice/ .02 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to start this by saying I am really, really not good at wiring.

My 40 is a 67 with a SBC in it, never fully wired up. It currently has a 71 Harness in good shape, but is definitely showing its age. I have spliced in new wiper sub harness (it was missing) and I still have to build a whole rear harness (not a huge deal). Front lights and new junction blocks are done. Alt and other bits are done. The gauge cluster is not final but it is close as I had to change stuff to fit the 71 harness from the 67 cluster -Different connectors, etc. I think I am close though.
I could use a new fuse block, but mine is functional. The wiring is really close to being in now (truck runs, etc) but with the SBC to Toyota swap and 30-something year old wiring...does this make more sense?
8 Circuit Wire Harness

Two more circuits than I have now, an integrated kill switch and modern fuses.

or would you "ain't broke...don't fix" this thing.
I was just looking at the $60 plus for a fuse block and originality is laughable for this truck at this point.
Sorta makes sense just to scrap it and start over.
I have also not ruled out a Vortec 5.3 in the future, but not until this 350 is getting tired.

Just looking for opinions.

Thoughts?

If you are willing to do the work, I'd go with the new fuse block and harness. When complete you will know what you have and how it all works. Document your install.

Like Stan pointed, if you’re up for the work, a new harness and fuse block doesn’t have many downsides. While installing one isn’t ‘hard’ it takes effort to learn how the Toyota schematic works and use that as your guide...editing based on differences (Chevy style steering column, engine, etc.). Consider whichever harness you purchase as nothing more then a bundle of labeled wires then follow the Toyota schematic.

My rewire took way more time then I anticipated but the next one will be way quicker! I also should’ve taken better notes, doh!

+1 on the rewire. The harness in my 40 was butchered, wires went no where, splices did nothing and I was afraid it was going to burn at some point. I had a new harness installed with 12 circuits and all were used. A good investment IMHO!

Rewire.

I'm strongly considering doing a full rewire on Moonshine to permanently add auxiliary circuits, and to have fresh wiring to work with moving forward.

Great. I will add it to the list. the list where I cross something off and put 4 more things on it.
I hate that list.

the 8 circuits enough?

Great. I will add it to the list. the list where I cross something off and put 4 more things on it.
I hate that list.

the 8 circuits enough?

:lol: Sounds like my list.

In a 40, 8 is probably enough, so go with 10 or 12 to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom