Wiring ??? out with the old..in with the new-er ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Ive got a 66 FJ45..the wiring is a mess and rather than pull out hair I cant afford to loose..
First of all, Im dropping in a 1982 fj60 drivetrain....so I would like to make life easier....would like to pull the 66 harness and replace with a complete 40 harness...seems like all I should need to do is lengthen the rear taillight leads and mod the w/w leads depending on what year harness I get my hands on..The 66 wiring just seems like trouble from get go...with the connection blocks etc and going with a harness that was built for a 2F seems like a no brainer...
I can get my hands on a 79 harness and column..or would a different year work better?

Ideas?? input?

Last edited:
Wow! Are you in for a surprise, lots of changes to the wiring harnesses between those years. For example, turn signal switches, rear turn signals and tail lights changed significantly. Retrofitting old lights with a relatively new harness will require a pair of double pole - double throw relays.

I'd look @ Coolermans website for starters. He has all new, old style bits & pieces for the old harnesses. If you pull the harness out, strip the tape off & lay it out, it's not that bad to work on. If you swap out harnesses, you need to consider the tailight differences, along w/the turn signal & flasher switch. Your best bet would be a 72 or older FJ40 harness or FJ55's, your looking for something w/a stop/turn tailight. The later harnesses have alot of emission wiring & funky green plugs in them, along w/the normal wiring. I've been working on 2 different yr harness to make 1 & there are subtle differences even between a couple of yr span in harnesses. Most of the color coded wires were the same but the type & set up in the plugs are different. The later harnesses need the later model componets to plug into. Fourtunately I've parted out a bunch of FJ40's thru the yrs, so i could adapt & retrofit as needed.

Last edited:
I just ripped out an HJ45 harness and replaced with an FJ45 harness, the FJ a 76 and the HJ a 75. Most of the base wiring (lights, indicators, dash etc) was the same. I had to build the wiring for glow plugs, starter motor and alternator though. As mentioned above, generally wire colour was the same, but plugs are different here and there.

Wow! Are you in for a surprise, lots of changes to the wiring harnesses between those years. For example, turn signal switches, rear turn signals and tail lights changed significantly. Retrofitting old lights with a relatively new harness will require a pair of double pole - double throw relays.

Not sure Im following you with this....

I will be replacing everything including shaft and its wiring.....except front and rear turns and wipper motors..

Well...how hard to replace steering shaft w/later??..at this time I have no turn switch and key is also jury rigged

or should I just go aftermarket harness?

i would say its very difficult to change columns but i wouldn't know... here's the issues i can think of

• mounting on the firewall and under dash support are radically different for the different steering columns
  • gauge cluster wiring is different i believe
  • alternator wiring is on the wrong side and probably wont work with your type of alt so you'll need the newer alternator
  • headlight and rear light connectors are different
  • fuse box will not have anywhere to bolt to in its 1979 location
  • all your switches will have different connections than the 1979 harness but that shouldn't be too bad...
  • honestly the hardest part would be the 1979 column... you would need the 1979 steering box as well since you can't use the 1966 steering box... (unless you already have power steering)

EDIT: i missed that you're putting in a 2F.. the alt would be on the correct side.. but thats about it as far as less modification. the thing is.. you get this 1979 harness you're still going to have to rip it apart to make it work and then you're just back where you started except now you have to do some metal work to make that column fit.. why not just fix the original .. or just go aftermarket :)

With a 66, you might be better off with a new aftermarket harness. Most of the wires will be the same as GM of the same vintage, but you will have to do some custom wiring of the plugs for the OEM components you use, like the gauges and lights.

I will be replacing everything including shaft and its wiring.....except front and rear turns and wipper motors..

Well...how hard to replace steering shaft w/later??..at this time I have no turn switch and key is also jury rigged

A real long time ago I adapted a 76 FJ40 steering box into a 72 FJ40. The 72 had the column attached to the box & the 76's box was separated from the column W/a rag joint. If I recall the box bolted up. I think I had to shorten the 76 column tube or move the mtg plate that goes thru fire wall. I don't recall why ,but at that time it must have been fairly staright forward. Be sure to get all the parts. I don't know about 79 harnesses, but the late model L/Cr's have separate stop & turn lights, so you will have to get a taillight convertor & an electronic flasher to get a stop/turn combo light to work. I think the plugs are going to be a pain in the.... Aftermarket or L/C, I think you still have to deal w/componet plugs, but not sure.

Last edited:

I replaced a 71 steering column with a column from a FJ55 because I'm doing an FJ60 Power Steering conversion (not sure of the vintage ~ 76 I think). Removed the bucket that mounts to the firewall and fabricated an oval plate with an elongated hole for the steering coumn to pass through at an angle. We then bolted it to the firewall, positioned the steering column at the desired angle and penetration, then tacked it in place. Removed and welded everything up, total time approximately 2 hours. Here's a link to some pics...https://forum.ih8mud.com/va-dc-md-capital-land-cruiser-club/429271-xxx-2.html#post6175796

Older 40's combined the stop and turn signals into a single rear tailight, while newer trucks have separate stop and turn signal bulbs. This means you have to wire it so your turn signals don't stop flashing when you apply the brakes. The relays are used for this purpose. A friend designed the circuit, but the diagram I have is missing the taillight circuit so it is incomplete. I'll see if he can give me an updated version.

Sorry guys and gals
Guess I did not give enough info.......

1) The 79 harness will come with all OEM switches and relays
2) The 79 column will be cut to fit (existing sag box set-up)
...a) and doing so cant I swap firewall mounts?
3) The transplant engine/tranny/Transfer will be 2F from a 82 FJ60
4) Have newer gauge cluster

(To me) it seems almost plug annd play...besides headlight and tail lights...

Older 40's combined the stop and turn signals into a single rear tailight, while newer trucks have separate stop and turn signal bulbs. This means you have to wire it so your turn signals don't stop flashing when you apply the brakes. The relays are used for this purpose. A friend designed the circuit, but the diagram I have is missing the taillight circuit so it is incomplete. I'll see if he can give me an updated version.

Cool..McLean, VA

I used to live there....many-many moons ago..Think the street was Timberneck trail.

Yes I will take any and all help...look forward to hearing about it.....Thank you !!

Last edited:
Sorry guys and gals
Guess I did not give enough info.......

1) The 79 harness will come with all OEM switches and relays
2) The 79 column will be cut to fit (existing sag box set-up)
...a) and doing so cant I swap firewall mounts?
3) The transplant engine/tranny/Transfer will be 2F from a 82 FJ60
4) Have newer gauge cluster

(To me) it seems almost plug annd play...besides headlight and tail lights...

seeems like you've got all your bases covered! and seems like your mind is made up too! go for it!

seeems like you've got all your bases covered! and seems like your mind is made up too! go for it!

Nooo far from it...

Im just trying to figure out what is best...seem like a cure to many problems
Bad/ scabbed wiring non working turns/ lights wiring more straight forward to newer drivetrain...more dependable than the early connection blocks

Last edited:
oops...double post

Probably able the easiest thing to solve. Just use one of the trailer light kits that does this for you. But it is even simpler on a FJ45LP-B since the brake light and turn signals doesn't share the same bulb. So a Post 73 FJ40 wiring harness it better than a 73 and earlier because it would have to be rewired to have separate bulbs.

I thinking of using a 78 wiring harness with a 78 cowl. I like the idea of doing away with the leaking vent on the earlier cowls. The one thing about the later wiring harness they have emission connection. Not sure if that will cause any problems. May go with a 79/80 wiring harness since I have a very good wiring diagram which I believeis the key to making it work correctly.

:cheers:

ok noted...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom