Wiring MYSTERY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RyanTomorrow

Livin the livin.
SILVER Star
Threads
So I was wiring up my new winch when I came across a wiring mystery courtesy of my PO. Considering I am a half-banana tech when it comes to electrical, I could use a trained eye:

766DCA52-D4C5-4219-A003-3D271AB1565F.jpeg

There seem to be two separate cables attached to the positive terminal, marked here as yellow and purple. As you can see, the yellow cable splits through a black box:
27A8078F-C127-44E2-B41E-0F3966EC42D3.jpeg

With an additional cable/connector below (ORANGE).
F7C6E8C5-8F4B-4A92-9D00-3871B3C8FE66.jpeg
I
I figured the YELLOW harness was related to vestigial trailer wiring, so I disconnected it. No dice: the truck is dead dead without it attached to the terminal. But the PURPLE cable seems much more like a starter cable.

So, any ideas? I’d love to remove extraneous cable, especially as I’m installing @Fourrunner ’s upgraded cables as soon as they arrive, and I can’t currently hook up the winch to the current terminals as there’s no room left on the Terminal poles.

Thanks for any help, even if it’s a remedial 12v guidebook.

Looks like you just disconnected your fusable links. They are far from being a mystery. Put them back where they were. These are all part of the toyota wiring.

Another view, if helpful.

34C61873-63EB-4E4F-9C28-F7BF3D81B580.jpeg

Looks like you just disconnected your fusable links. They are far from being a mystery. Put them back where they were. These are all part of the toyota wiring.

So this is the stock, factory setup? No extra bits added? I owe the PO an apology.

Yeah thats the factory set up. They are called fusible links, most cars have them, but on newer vehicles they are integrated into the battery terminal in one big piece, but on the 80 and older vehicles they are separate fuses.

Roger that. I appreciate it! I just didn’t see this as part of the @Fourrunner cable set so I figured it was extraneous. Now I just need to figure out how to get it all on one terminal.

What do you mean "get it all on one terminal"?

Get military spec battery terminals and adapt all that to it.

mil-spec battery terminals

crimp tool

I picked up a set of Fastronix military terminals with just that plan in mind, but both the factory lugs and my winch cable lugs are too small to fit on the terminal bolt. Pretty possible I got the wrong terminals? Or do I need to swap out lugs?

Thanks, all. Appreciate the guidance.
And yes, you can get new terminal lugs for the specific cable gauge (such as 2 ga...don't mistake for 2/0...not the same thing) with a 3/8" hole or a larger hole if needed.

I recently bought some from Amazon for 2/0 cable to wire in an inverter in the back of my truck.

I picked up a set of Fastronix military terminals with just that plan in mind, but both the factory lugs and my winch cable lugs are too small to fit on the terminal bolt. Pretty possible I got the wrong terminals? Or do I need to swap out lugs?

I would find a smaller diameter bolt rather than drilling out the current lugs. The fusible links don't have solid lugs and will be difficult to drill without mangling them. If you want to try to enlarge the holes I would use a dremel with a grinding bit.

I went the mil style route and used a step bit to make the hole a little larger for the fusible links. Never had an issue.

As for the link, buy a spare. They are pretty important and can leave you stranded. They are only like $15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom