wiring mystery, installing neutral safety switch. wtf? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i got my shift indicator system up and running, this one:

Universal Gear Shift Sending Unit

all the lights work, P R N D, etc. and the backup lights are working. but there's something weird with the neutral safety switch (the one that prevents the starter motor from engaging in gear). in a nutshell, it's a relay wired into the wire that runs from the key-switch to the starter relay. the microprocessor box opens or closes the relay depending on what position the shift lever is in. park or neutral is a closed relay and the drive and reverse gears open the relay.

the relay clicks open and closed like it should when moving the lever like it should. but when i turn the key to the start position, i can hear the starter relay under the hood trip (nice loud "klunka-klunka" noise), so current is getting through. but no starter turning, not even the solenoid throwing out. if i jump across the relay, everything works fine. i've tried a different relay, same result. wtf.

the wire i used for the relay is the one on the #6 position of the plug shown in the ignition switch diagram from this page:
Body Electrical

where have i gone wrong?

Go underneath and check the wire connector to the trans and see if you have a shorting out connector pin like I had? Put the rig in neutral and try again. If that doesn't work, not to sound like a tool, battery fully charged?

Start position uses 1, 3, and 6 on one side, 7 and 8 on the other.

As per the chart "Start" is 1-3-6, 7-8 on the other.

"On" is 1-2-3 on one side, 7-8 on the other.

"Acc" is 2-3.

Make sense? See attached pic. I'm working all week but I'll try to monitor the posts to see if you need more help.
Screen shot 2012-03-05 at 10.00.55 PM.jpg

Last edited:
battery is fine. what i did was interrupt the wire that comes through the #6 position with a relay, when the key is turned i can hear a relay trip under the hood, and the radio cuts out like it normally would on start, just no starter.

there is no connection to the transmission regarding the neutral safety switch. i neglected to mention that this is a '94 pickup with a 1UZFE engine and corresponding 5 speed transmission transplant. before i installed the shifter position kit, there was no neutral safety switch or gear indicator at all.

looks like eother a 22r or a 3.0 v6. and it has all the brackets for a clutc h cylinder, so it likely was a manual transmission.

Resurrection attempt!

Did you ever get this resolved? I’m having EXACTLY the same issue with my ‘04 LC.

You might have better luck posting this question in the 100 Series forum.

After chasing this issue for 6 weeks finally resolved it. The aftermarket remote start that was installed improperly shorted out the ignition sector of the ECM. All grounds tested right. All power coming in test 12V. No power going out.

Removed the aftermarket remote start. Took out all splice points in the wiring. Installed new ECM. Started right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom