Wiring my sbc finally..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.octagonmma.com
Long time coming i realize but i got off my ass and installed the headers, distributor, new Edelbrock intake and carb, new plugs and wires, MSD Ignition, new battery, new starter motor and solenoid, and i started making 0AWG wires for the new electrical. i realized I haven't a clue how to wire this all up much less deal with the 75 harness in the 40. Can somebody point me to a resource? I know Dgangle is out there somewhere.....next is fuel cell, power steering, disc brakes and booster plumbing, and carb tune.

My wiring is a rat's nest to look at, but I think it's correct. The truck runs at any rate! I have a 1975 FJ40 harness wired up to a 283 SBC. It's probably not all that different from your 350. If you have any specific questions I can go out and try to figure it out for you!

If it's a carb'd 350 then it's pretty straightforward....

Constant (large gauge) wire to the main starter power solenoid (if external solenoid, then another large gauge wire to the starter itself)
12V switched (from key "start") to the switched terminal of the solenoid

12V switched (both from key "start" and/or "run".... some keys differentiate, some don't.. will depend on how yours is setup) to:
Positive of the coil and/or distributor (depends on your ignition system)
To the electric choke (if applicable)

The alternator will depend more on the specific alternator. In my system I have a 3 wire GM alternator, but it's really just a 1 wire connection, and I have the voltage indicator running to a factory light (so if the alt isn't charging, it notifies me). With that said, I also have an external voltage meter which is not directly wired to the engine.

Then gauge connections will depend on what's in the truck and what you want. For instance, if you want or have a tach, the negative side of the coil (or ignition.... many MSD distributor units have a self-contained coil) runs to the tach in the cab.

Coolant sensor connection runs to temp gauge (may be resistance variances if not using toyota sensor, may need to be figured out)
Oil pressure - again, depends on the sending unit being used and gauge being used... but run from the sending unit to the

The oil and temp sensors are in the block and the intake but not wired as well....choke is manual. Gauges are stock OR I can run above or in another spot on the dash, an all electronic single panel like a track car has, bought it along time ago at Summit.

Last edited:
All right I stabbed myself in the leg with a folding razor knife got stitched all up, and now will have a week to myself in the garage again! NO jiu jitsu again! Back to back large lacerations, previously on the forehead, keeping me off the mats for 2 MORE weeks and, now I walk funny so back to wiring sbc in FJ up. Start up the vehicle to double check starter motor and ignition yielded a starter motor that wouldn't stop without battery pos cable removal/ loss. So is my key ignition trashed? Not wired up the MSD blaster or distributor yet or the 5wire alt. Fuel cell and pumping circuit, cooling relations and fan plus radiator, clutch and brakes.......removed Intake manifold to double check install first. I just realized I have a Vortec block. Didn't know that! Need a carb that can take steep angles without dying. Apparently Edelbrock 1405 ain't gonna cut the hairy s*** but still....

For carb that won't crap out on hill sides, might take a gander at ebay @252349922664 and/or #252568209402. I don't know if this kind of stuff can be done to 4 barrels?????

You could just run a quadrajet - everything I've seen indicates their small, central float boal in about the closest thing you can get to fuel injection for off-camber stuff.

The ignition switch is questionable - could be it, a sticky cylinder, relay/solenoid, wiring..... pull the 12v switched off the starter and do some voltage tests to see what's going on with the key.

I am ditching my quadrajet for EFI.... I rebuilt an already reboot carb and it's just so damn finicky. For me, it isn't worth the cost of a new carb or to have one rebuilt by someone better at them since that's money towards EFI.

Ok so today we tried to isolate the solenoid sticking previously perhaps from sitting a while. New part though. So now freaking ignition is working as it should and when I have momentary on /in the furthest sprung position which is indicated by my test light illuminated and it is switched off when I let go of the key. Works as it should.

This is going in.

IMG_0262.PNG

And attendant bits and bobs and a mechanical GM fuel pump.

My mech took a look at the block and said 350 from the early 80/mid 80s. TBI intake was stolen from it. So here we is. I'm gon make this s*** run.

UPDATE:

New starter motor was bad. Replaced for free. Carb vent whistles and metering is set up, and is shipping back to me now for install.

Has anyone sourced OEM replacement harness plugs? Kinda baked my green ignition harness once and am replacing ignition and turn signal, so if I can replace the HARNESS TO CAR half of the green 4 prong plug? I'm lookin.......

I just finished up installing an EZ wire harness in my TBI 350. It really wasn't to bad. The hardest part was the crappy EZ schematic and integrating the Toyota hazard Switch/turn signals.....Even then, it really wasn't all that bad once I studied both the schematics over and over.

I installed most all factory plugs thanks to coolerman and a company call Vintage Connections. Between the two, I was able to source most of the connectors.

I'm really glad to know that all of my wires are new and I won't have to worry about corroded wires and weak connections. I also put forth the extra effort to solder/ heat shrink every terminal.

I purchased a new ignition switch (electrical side) from Rock Auto.

I you have questions I may be able to help.

I was changing the oil on my 911.....finished. I need to pull the steering wheel out of the 40 to replace the turn signal....anyone????

Your trading a 1405 for a Holley... I thought you wanted an improvement on slopes.

QuadraJets have served me well for 20 years. Have a new 1406 in there now. Not wheeled it hard, but it pulls well below 600 and runs way better than the tired QuadraJet did.

Yep. Replacing turn sinal switch, correct? I borrowed a puller but didn't need it. My wheel came off easy.

Well the gentleman whom recommended I go that route and set it up was as part of the team supporting Ivan Stewart for his 80-90s Baja victories. Specifically suspension design and engines as well. More than a dozen Baja and MINT etc races each on a motorcycle. Knows racing and off-road cold. That 1405 is a street rod setup. I'm sure I can be run many ways but I'm listening to his experience......

Ivan's stadium trucks too....forgot that. His position was with the owner's company sponsored by Toyota etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom