Wiring Issue 1972 FJ40 Dome Light Stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was trying to hookup a rocker panel (3 switches and 12v/USB charge port) over the weekend and something very weird happened. One of the rocker panel switches will be used for the DOME light

First, I used the 12v for the cig lighter to hook up to the top 12v connector of the rocker panel
Second, I used the 12v (white) wire for the DOME light switch to hook up as the 12v to the switches of the rocker panel (Rocker panel needs two 12v's and two grounds)
I have an after market stereo with the remote on tied into the fuse RADIO
Once I hooked all the wires up and tested the Stereo turned on without any key. Everything else worked fine (rocker panel has power with key turned, not off position) but now my stereo won't turn off. I tested the interior light power and it received 12v with key in accessory. So right now I had to take the fuse for DOME light out and now the stereo works perfectly. Is there a chance that the DOME light and Stereo 12v's are connected?

After hours looking I needed to clear my head and ask the experts. Thank you in advance!

So I was trying to hookup a rocker panel (3 switches and 12v/USB charge port) over the weekend and something very weird happened. One of the rocker panel switches will be used for the DOME light

First, I used the 12v for the cig lighter to hook up to the top 12v connector of the rocker panel
Second, I used the 12v (white) wire for the DOME light switch to hook up as the 12v to the switches of the rocker panel (Rocker panel needs two 12v's and two grounds)
I have an after market stereo with the remote on tied into the fuse RADIO
Once I hooked all the wires up and tested the Stereo turned on without any key. Everything else worked fine (rocker panel has power with key turned, not off position) but now my stereo won't turn off. I tested the interior light power and it received 12v with key in accessory. So right now I had to take the fuse for DOME light out and now the stereo works perfectly. Is there a chance that the DOME light and Stereo 12v's are connected?

After hours looking I needed to clear my head and ask the experts. Thank you in advance!

If I remember, the cig lighter and the dome light always have power. This way you can light a cig and turn the dome light on without IG switch.

If I remember, the cig lighter and the dome light always have power. This way you can light a cig and turn the dome light on without IG switch.
That's how my truck is wired, with no "PO" modifications.

Thank you, I will try switching to an ACC on the fuse block.

Do you know why the Radio would turn on? It's as if when I connected the Dome light wire everything stayed on with no key.

The FJ40 if I recall has the 12 volts always there and when the switch is made, the ground id connected to light the light. So, if you used the 12 volts from there and connected it to a stereo, the stereo would always be on. Something like that.

The FJ40 if I recall has the 12 volts always there and when the switch is made, the ground id connected to light the light. So, if you used the 12 volts from there and connected it to a stereo, the stereo would always be on. Something like that.
The stereo is aftermarket in a tuffy console. Stereo is connected to power to battery with fuse and the remote turn on (blue wire) is connected to the RADIO fuse. It's almost like the RADIO fuse and DOME light fuse are connected... I think I might take everything I've done and work backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom