Wiring in new driver's chair, need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m wiring up a driver’s chair I installed over the weekend. I have two wires coming out of the chair that control the reclining motor. Testing the wires with a 12 V source, I can get it to recline up and down by switching the polarity (+12 and ground, or ground and +12.) Seems simple enough to wire this to a switch and call it good. I don’t have a power antenna anymore in my 62 so I wanted to use the power antenna switch to control this chair’s relining movements. So, I have a 5 pin relay, an antenna switch, and 2 inputs on the chair. How do I wire this up? I’m struggling with this and I rather figure it out on paper rather than connecting wires in different configurations all day and possibly frying something. So, who’s the wiring genius that can help me out?

Here’s a schematic of where I am:
schematic.jpg

You need two relays, an "up" relay and a "down" relay. Connect the wires from the seat to the 85 terminals. Wire power to the NO (86A?) terminals and ground to the NC (86?) terminals. The "up" direction of the control switch energizes ONLY the up relay. The "down" direction energizes ONLY the down relay.

Thanks ntsqd,

Alright, I can do two relays. I was trying to "simplify" things. I will be needing a lot of relays then since I plan on wiring up the heated seats for passenger and driver. Are theire any good places to buy say 10 to 20 relays in bulk?

Might try places like AlliedElec.com, or delcity.net, or waytechwire.com and see what the qty discounts are.

X2 on using two relays. But be careful how you wire up the relays to the antenna switch. The antenna switch is a double pole double throw switch. So, when you push UP on the switch, it switches power to the Blue wire going to the motor, and ground to the Blue/Yellow wire going to the motor. Vice-versa for DOWN.

You'll want to check how the seat is wired. When you tested it, did you connect one motor wire to the +12V and the other to ground, and then the other way round for the opposite direction, or is there a gound lead, and to test, you connected first the up and then the down to the +12V?

Here is a link to the relays I used for my power windows and door locks mod:

**RELAY 30 /50 AMP SPDT RELAY - WITH HARNESS*::*RELAYS AND HARNESSES*::*Car Alarm & Remote Start*::*AUTOTOYS

Yes, when I tested the chair's motor it would go up / down when switching 12V / ground. I feel like there should be an easier way than using two relays. Using two relays looks like the cheaters way out. I rather simplify the hardware and wiring instead of wiring up lots of relays in my car for each little thing I put in.

Thanks for the sources. Last attempt: Any other wiring suggestions to simplify hardware and use the antenna switch?

You have to switch the polarity of the voltage across the motor to make it go up and down, just like how you tested it. A relay only turns on and off, so you have to use two relays--one to apply 12V to one side of the motor, and the other to apply 12V to the other side of the motor.

You have to switch the polarity of the voltage across the motor to make it go up and down, just like how you tested it. A relay only turns on and off, so you have to use two relays--one to apply 12V to one side of the motor, and the other to apply 12V to the other side of the motor.

All right, I'll go that direction. That should be ebough to get me moving. I'll post pictures in a few days showing progress.

No integrated switches?

As a side note, as I'm sitting here looking at this, it just occured to me that most seats have the switches integrated into the seat and all you need to do is hook up 12V. So I'm guessing your seat doesn't have integrated switches?

you could get a window up/down switch and just use that for the power recline. The motor functions the same way (essentially)

As a side note, as I'm sitting here looking at this, it just occured to me that most seats have the switches integrated into the seat and all you need to do is hook up 12V. So I'm guessing your seat doesn't have integrated switches?

The used seat I got did not come with the switches so it's up to me to wire the seat heaters, lumbar support, and recline. I used my manual rails off the stock seat to avoid wiring the bottom adjusting motor.

Why is the white ground wire not grounded? I notice when wiring stuff that sometimes switches use grounds and some don't. i know this is a generic question but which situations should I be using a grounded switch as opposed to an inline switch. I'm guessing that most switches are grounded on the other side of the relay?

The White/Black ground wire from the switch was used as the return ground path for the antenna motor. You could run the seat motor ground back through the switch, but I don't think the switch was made to take the current that the seat motor will draw. So all the switch will now be doing is switching 12V to the relay coils, which is a small amount. I would recommend cutting the White/Black wire to eliminate a stray ground. My diagram uses two relays and the seat motor ground returns through the relay that is not activated and to a ground point of your choosing. You could use the White/Black wire that you cut off of the switch as the ground wire if it is convenient.

Toyota usually switches the ground side of the load, not the 12V side. That is why you usually see a ground wire to most switches. My diagram switches the 12V side of your seat motor, but the relay is doing the switching.

Ok. Sounds good. I have plenty of wire and I shouldn't need to reuse the snipped off piece.

If you mount the relays close to the switch (up under the dash) you will only have to run two wires to the seat. And by using the White and Black wire for ground, I mean after you cut it off of the switch, you could connect the wires you want to ground from the relays to it, since the other end of the wire is a ground point.

Last edited:
That's what I plan to do. The fuse box and relays will be installed under / inside the factory armrest. I already took apart the center console and found space for it. Plus, it makes all the wiring for the seat heaters tidy. Still looking for two switches to use as seat heater switches that will fit in the factory console coin slots. I failed at locating the lexus ES300 heater switches for cheap.

The ES300 ones had little lights that indicated hi and lo so they were my first choice. I have a wanted add out for 2 rear heater switches and I keep pming people who have them. Haven't gotten any yet. You're right of course, they make good heater switches. I am thinking about moving the actual rear heater switch to the back of the console. There's a plastic insert piece that comes out seperate of the center console back. I was thinking about dremeling a rectangular hole to fit the switch. It would give me more room in the front for custom switches (i.e lockers, lights, and other mots.)

Here is how I would wire up the seat using the power antenna switch and two relays. You will want to make sure you have fuses where ever appropriate.

SLCFJ62,
I understand your schematic and I tried wiring it up this evening to no avail. I can't get the two 4 PIN relays set up correctly. The 4 PIN relays are in the "open" position until activated. Your schematic shows the 4 PIN relays grounded when "closed" which is what I need but cannot achieve. How do I set up the 4 PIN relays to start off grounded (or in the "closed" position?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom