Wiring Harness???? JT Outfitters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone used this wiring harness provided via JT Outfitters? Looking for a complete update for my FJ55...thoughts?

wirharfullfj(1).jpg

Go to classifieds, scroll down to "bad sellers" and search for threads with jt outfitters in the title. Read away. (Works for other businesses too, assuming the thread starter hasn't been badgered into deleting, which is a good reason to check the section occasionally)

Go to classifieds, scroll down to "bad sellers" and search for threads with jt outfitters in the title. Read away. (Works for other businesses too, assuming the thread starter hasn't been badgered into deleting, which is a good reason to check the section occasionally)
Oh goodness...see this is why this forum is so important. I'll take a look... any suggestions on wiring harness providers?

Keep in mind any aftermarket wiring harness is going to be 'generic' and not designed specifically for the 40. Lots of threads about different options, EZ-wire, Kwikwire, Centech, Painless, and others.

Rebuilding your own harness is intimidating but not terribly difficult. You can get various wires and connectors from a couple of vendors here:
@ToyotaMatt VintageTEqParts.com - https://vintageteqparts.com
@Coolerman Cruiser Wiring - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/wiringmainframe.htm

Has anyone used this wiring harness provided via JT Outfitters? Looking for a complete update for my FJ55...thoughts?

View attachment 2961732
I used it on my 1974 FJ40. It's basically a copy of the Painless wiring kits. I am not crazy about JT but don't have any real complaints either. The kit I used works great, and though they aren't easy to install, if you are competent and patient it's not too hard either.

The best advice I can give is to buy a good set of wire strippers--the spring loaded type--and take your time.

The turn signals all have to be wired through the hazard switch which is weird and on mine at least I had to switch the order on 2 wires for the windshield wipers to work correctly.

All in all, it was definitely worth it, but I can't stress enough that taking your time and good strippers when rewiring a Landcruiser--as in other other areas--are the keys to happiness.

I used it on my 1974 FJ40. It's basically a copy of the Painless wiring kits. I am not crazy about JT but don't have any real complaints either. The kit I used works great, and though they aren't easy to install, if you are competent and patient it's not too hard either.

The best advice I can give is to buy a good set of wire strippers--the spring loaded type--and take your time.

The turn signals all have to be wired through the hazard switch which is weird and on mine at least I had to switch the order on 2 wires for the windshield wipers to work correctly.

All in all, it was definitely worth it, but I can't stress enough that taking your time and good strippers when rewiring a Landcruiser--as in other other areas--are the keys to happiness.
Great advice...My grandfather was a wood worker and he always said, "measure twice and cut once". Words to live by. So you didn't have any quality control issues or communications issues with JTO?

You can get and use any (enter your amount or circuits) harness kit from many places. It’s what I’m wrapping up installing on mine. I like it. Stupid simple, but I enjoy wiring. I also prefer weather pack terminals to anything Toyota so I couldn’t care less that it doesn’t have terminals. You would want to remove any terminals when wiring the truck anyway. Also, you can route and organize the circuits exactly how you like them.

Partially installed:

55A2D59C-4810-4B2A-8D34-865BCE0F9CC3.jpeg

663A8252-23FB-420D-B4FC-14A6494DB5A9.jpeg

Oh, and I recommend doing this for your lights just to ensure great grounds. Stock harness or not.

F1C6805A-79C4-415B-AA59-B813AF421459.jpeg

This looks super clean. Can you share where you sourced the fuse block? What gauge wire did you use?
I believe it’s the one JT Outfitters sells. It’s made by Kwik Wire.

This is the fuse box cover:
image.jpg

It’s also just like the universal JEGS branded ones.

My solution was to pare down a FJ62 harness and stuff that in my 55. But I also stuffed in 62 engine control, 62 gauges and 62 column switches.

Great advice...My grandfather was a wood worker and he always said, "measure twice and cut once". Words to live by. So you didn't have any quality control issues or communications issues with JTO?
No, they were pretty easy to contact and tried to help. Prob worth noting that they get the spectrum of customers from cool, understanding and handsome (like me) and pissed off , screaming and smoking hot (like mi amor) so on any given day you may be talking to someone who just got their a$$ handed to them by a guy who doesn't know the coil wire from ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom