Wiring harness heat shield options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In doing an e-locker swap, I’ve noticed the heat shielding is in need of repair. Curious as to what others have done to repair this or other harnesses. Thanks!
82B81B02-883D-4DAB-AFEC-0722A48B112A.jpeg

I used some of this:

FIBERFRAX from Aircraft Spruce

Its a ceramic cloth. I then covered that with aluminum adhesive tape to hold the cloth on. I used that on the EGR area of the engine harness and it's been holding up well. The ceramic cloth really blocks heat well.

That heat shielding serves a very important function. When i bought my truck my front diff locker wouldn't work, after lots of looking i found the problem inside that harness. The heat from the exhaust cooked the wires inside my harness causing the insulation to get brittle, and fall off. After that happened a few wires ended up breaking in two. Since that harness is NLA from Toyota, or Lexus i bought a used from a Mud member. Before i installed the replacement i took the time to strip off all the old heat insulation, and replace it with expandable fiberglass braided sleeving. The sleeving was held in place on both ends with 3M high temp glass cloth adhesive tape. Plus you can use that tape to reattach the plastic anchors to the wiring harness that hold the harness to the body, and frame. The sleeving has a temp rating of 1200 degrees, and the tape Withstands temperatures from -65°F to 450°F and intermittent temperatures up to 550°F or higher. Remember, if Mr T didn't think insulation was needed in that area , he wouldn't of spent the time, and money putting it there in the first place. Links for both of these products are at the bottom of this post.
Fiberglass Tubing, Wire Thermal Protection, Thermal Hose Protection, Thermal Protection System, Fiberglass Sleeving - CableOrganizer.com
3M™ Glass Cloth Tape 361 | 3M United States

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. They are all great options! I found some Insultherm the most economical as I was looking for a small quantity and it came today.
477263C8-A2E9-4444-89B7-9245DA0D1AEE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom