Wiring Harness--EZ wiring kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I need to rebuild the wiring harness but I have now decided to just put in an EZ wiring kit. It will save me time and wipe clean the mess the PO left for me. Any suggestions from those who may have used on of these kits? Is the EZ21 better than the MiniEZ20. I like the small size of the mini and it seems like it will wire up the same amount of circuits. For $130 is seems like the way to go...I'm going to spend that much on new wire and connectors from Waytech anyway!!!

Thanks in advance!

Give Centech a peek, the quality and labeling beats the hell outta Painless.....costs a bit more but maybe worth it. I thought it was! Good luck!!

The only problem with the mini EZ20 is you'll probably be the only one on the trail using mini spade fuses. Make sure you carry plenty of spares. I went with the EZ12

I went EZ 21.

Way too many curcuits for my taste in my 40..

Other than that I am very happy about the work done :)

Yea, i also went with the EZ21, i only used like 8 or 9 curcuits. either way, it was a damn nice kit.
Shane

Does anyone make a complete harness with all the factory plugs on it? Painless just started making one for early broncos, and a friend of mine is getting one soon. My wiring is fine (after a day of soldering and heat shrinking, cutting out p/o crap) on my 79, but won't be forever. I would think that a lot of the electrical issues would be at the plugs themselves, but none of the kits i've seen for cruisers include them.

i paid $165 for my ez12 which is plenty for my 45 and i've only just begun the wiring, even though i've had the kit since december....too many projects, not enough time.

I put in the painless. DONT EVER DO THAT!!!! Even though the box was labled bronco and fj40 it was a generic kit. I had nightmares trying to figure it out. All told it took me almost 3 weeks to get it in. That was with 2 of us working 6-8 hours a day on it.
I cleaned out the light switch with alcohol and my buddy spent about an hour trying to figure out why it had power at every wire all the time, Dont be that guy,,,Damn he was pissed when he figured out what I had done. Alcohol conducts electricity,,,who would a thunk it?
Good luck, Clark

Alcohol is good for cleaning electrical parts but you should let it evaporate (doesn't take long) before using what ever it is your cleaning. Also if you want a long lasting electrical system try to avoid sharp bends in the wire or having the wire rub on sharp edges. keep ground contacts clean, metal on metal contacts. It helps to clean your entire rig before re wiring because you will be all over the rig running wires and dirt in the face sucks.

Thanks guys. I picked up the Mini20. Figure I'll just carry a crap load of extra fuses with me. I liked the small size and it will fit perfectly where I want it to go.

I'm already inmpressed with the guys at EZwiring. They were very helpful and threw in free shipping for a "military discount". $130 out the door is a killer deal! Now I am going to spend that extra money on quallity butt connectors and heat shrink to mate everything up to my toyota pieces. Delcity.net it a great source but I am going to be forced to buy way more than I need. Any other sources that I won't have to buy 100s of pieces??

I'll keep you posted on the install. Hopefully it will go smoothly. The guys at EZ promised it would:)

Dan

PUPTLAM said:
I put in the painless. DONT EVER DO THAT!!!! Even though the box was labled bronco and fj40 it was a generic kit. I had nightmares trying to figure it out. All told it took me almost 3 weeks to get it in. That was with 2 of us working 6-8 hours a day on it.
I cleaned out the light switch with alcohol and my buddy spent about an hour trying to figure out why it had power at every wire all the time, Dont be that guy,,,Damn he was pissed when he figured out what I had done. Alcohol conducts electricity,,,who would a thunk it?
Good luck, Clark

You're not kidding. I tried to help my buddy put one in his heep and I lasted about 2 hours and got like 3 wires run (incorrectly I might add [I hate electrical]). It was so confusing that's all I could take, I never went back.

One thing to remember, if you are keeping the stock column you have to do some reworking.

Basically All Wiring kits are designed for single element brake and turn..

i spent $200 for one from trent fabrication about 2 or 3 months ago and i am very happy. it has more than enoguh circuts for a cruiser and it is labeled one the wire every 4 inches where it goes. took me 2 days to get it all in. i dont know if he is on mud but he goes by tfab on pirate. http://www.trentfabrication.com/

my $.02

Ez is a great kit,with a gm tilt 5 hours.But with a 72 pig,stock switches 25 hours is more like it.It is great to have the wires labeled,extras-run lights,GPS,tunes,In the pig i used 17 of the 21.Biggest pain was the stock turn-stop-hazered,toy used -5wire-7wire-3wire-to make this work in a 1972.So if you were thinking tilt,now is the time.Or make shur you have a proper manual.The harness is worth every ounce of blood and sweat it takes.

I've got custom steering shafts, will a tilt steering column require me to alter that?? I'd like a tilt column but have never seen how involved it is to install. 20 hours is a lot of time difference. Anyone got a good make and model from which to pull a tilt column out of??

Dan

1FE pig said:
Ez is a great kit,with a gm tilt 5 hours.But with a 72 pig,stock switches 25 hours is more like it.It is great to have the wires labeled,extras-run lights,GPS,tunes,In the pig i used 17 of the 21.Biggest pain was the stock turn-stop-hazered,toy used -5wire-7wire-3wire-to make this work in a 1972.So if you were thinking tilt,now is the time.Or make shur you have a proper manual.The harness is worth every ounce of blood and sweat it takes.
what all did you have to do to mate it to the oem column?

Ige I had to cut out one of the new relays,It was for the turn signels.Then it went column to the 5 wire signel box, back to the 9 wire hazard switch with the switch brake tied in there.I made notes when I did it,thinking i would need them for the 45LV.I will dig them out for you.Cause I know you want them.Rob

(Ige I had to cut out one of the new relays,It was for the turn signels.Then it went column to the 5 wire signel box, back to the 9 wire hazard switch with the switch brake tied in there.I made notes when I did it,thinking i would need them for the 45LV.I will dig them out for you.Cause I know you want them.Rob)
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to take a look at those notes too. If you don't mind.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom