Wiring Harness Damage (Damn Rodents) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went out to the truck the other day after not using it for a while to find that a red squirel had made a nest in my glove box. In the process the bugger chewed my wiring harness. I need help finding the correct Molex connector that conects to some sort of computer box??? The one in the picture. It is directly behind the glove box in front of what looks like the engine ECM. Are these available through Toyota? Can I reuse my old one? How do I remove, if that is even possible, the old wires to reuse my current connector?
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg

The Molex connector I need to find or fix.
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0404.jpg

You can remove the existing pins. If you look into the connector from the end that plugs into the ECU you will see a space or cavity on the top of each pin. You will need a very small awe or screwdriver like the kind you repair eyeglasses with. The pins are basically locked in to the housing. Stick the awe into the cavity and gently pry up the lock. Similar to unlocking the connector from the ECU. You will need to pull on the wires to get them out but it won't take too much effort. DON'T FORGET TO RECORD WHICH COLOR WIRES ARE IN WHICH HOLES. You can find this info in a wiring diagram but it is a PITA.

You can buy the repair splices, the pins with a length of wire, from Toyota.

To get the correct pins you will need the number on the connector. There is a 5 digit number on the housing. Trust me there is one there you just have to look very hard. Once you have that I can look up the splice part number for you, or you can call CDan at American Toyota and he can help you. Most dealers won't have a clue how to help you.

Basically the number on the connector is the second half of the connector part number, the fist half is 90980

Then you'll need to splice the wires back together and you'll be back in business.

The numbers I can see, and just barely, are: 11264. a 15 14 preceeds this number and 9 8 follows. I assume the 11264 is the key number?

Last edited:
Looks to me like thats your stereo amp. If it is, you could just put in a Scion unit and forget about it. (it needs to be unplugged if you install the Scion unit.)

The numbers I can see, and just barely, are: 11264. a 15 14 preceeds this number and 9 8 follows. I assume the 11264 is the key number?

Ok, that is a legit number. I will check the it in the Factory Wiring Harness Repair manual after I get home tonight. The manual has picture of many of the housings Then I'll send you the splice part number.
Item NumberMSRPCore PricePrice9098011264$6.03$0.00$4.82
HOUSING, CONNECTOR F
Add to Cart Contact Us

Thats a computer.

Thats your engine's computer (ECU, ECM, EFI computer, whatever acronym you want to use). It is not an amplifier.

I wonder if I'm the only to have had one go bad without dunking the truck.

The saga...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/142213-real-time-help-fuel-delivery-issue.html

Cruiserdan should be able to source the part for you. Or, if you're happy with your soldering skills you could try to get IRBIS to cut off a 6" pigtail from the wiring harness on one of the wrecked ones he parts out.

I went out to the truck the other day after not using it for a while to find that a red squirel had made a nest in my glove box. In the process the bugger chewed my wiring harness. I need help finding the correct Molex connector that conects to some sort of computer box??? The one in the picture. It is directly behind the glove box in front of what looks like the engine ECM. Are these available through Toyota? Can I reuse my old one? How do I remove, if that is even possible, the old wires to reuse my current connector?

Thats your engine's computer (ECU, ECM, EFI computer, whatever acronym you want to use). It is not an amplifier.

In the first picture the box looks too small to be the ECM (not to mention that he said that it was in front of the ECM).
The second picture shows the manufacturer as "Matsu****a" which is part of Panasonic, and it shows a 4 ohm output (speaker) the third picture is taken through the speaker hole and shows the ECM still in the vehicle. The amp would be installed behind this speaker in front of the ECM (actually to the right of the glovebox) and it's wiring harness would be right beside the glovebox when it was closed.

Yep, that looks like the right part number for that housing. The splice part number is 82998-12420. They should cost you about 4.00 each.

Have you worked on getting any of the pins out? Look at the unused ones that should help you figure out how to get them out.

The repair manual recommends you cut the wires to differing lengths, use press sleeves and wrap in silicon tap. Shrink wrap works well also.

Last edited:
I'm with Firedog on this one; that's the stereo amplifier. You may be able to source that plug with a 6" pigtail from a stereo shop. Metra as well as others make hundreds of different connectors such as this for aftermarket stereo installations.

If it were me, I'd repair it. It is completely repairable still depending on your skill level.

EDIT: OK, through what opening did a squirrel get into your rig:confused:

LOL... You're right. I saw the third picture... The one of the ECU... and jumped to conclusions that were incorrect.

I stand duly chastised and humbled.

My local dealership was able to locate the Molex connector for around $4.00. The wires that plug into it with the proper ends that lock into the connector are $6.00 or $8.00 each??? He quoted me $80.00 for everything... OUCH!!! I think I will see what I can find at radio shack.

The squirrel is still in the truck. He scared the s*** out of me this morning while I was cleaning the interior. I will be taking a trip to the local farm store to buy a trap and try to catch the sucker. I have no idea how he is getting in and out.

My local dealership was able to locate the Molex connector for around $4.00. The wires that plug into it with the proper ends that lock into the connector are $6.00 or $8.00 each??? He quoted me $80.00 for everything... OUCH!!! I think I will see what I can find at radio shack.

The squirrel is still in the truck. He scared the **** out of me this morning while I was cleaning the interior. I will be taking a trip to the local farm store to buy a trap and try to catch the sucker. I have no idea how he is getting in and out.

If the only problem is with the stereo amp, I would just leave it disconnected and replace the stereo with the scion unit. You can usually find the radio for around $50, the install is easy (though a bit tedious), the sound is MUCH better, if you get the right model you can control an Ipod, and you will never need that amp again.
(I know, i am repeating myself):D

The squirrel is still in the truck. He scared the **** out of me this morning while I was cleaning the interior. I will be taking a trip to the local farm store to buy a trap and try to catch the sucker. I have no idea how he is getting in and out.

Yeah, he is sticking it to you. You can get them online or from Dan for less that 4.00 each. Try here.

Auto Parts People

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom