Wiring Diagram? need help locating coil and ign wire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finishing up installing a tbi 350 in my 40 but can't find the coil wire and am unsure about the starter/ign wires. IIRC the coil wire is with the two starter wires that are yellow and black? The PO was definately not a electrician and I have found many wires spliced into the original harness with whatever color wire he had hanging around. So I am trying to trace the wiring on the harness, but again I'm stuck on the coil and starter wires. Definately struggling with wiring issues right now. :crybaby: Any help or links to wiring diagrams would be a huge help.
:beer:

Yes, ignition is black with the yellow stripe. Check with a voltmeter. Key hot only.

Best

Mark A.

I'm finding myself in the same situation.

The yellow/black wire comes off by where the previous coil was. My wiring harness has a black wire down low on the wiring harness (pass side) along with 2 white/black wires. I tried these wires on the solenoid, but got nothing. The one black wire was switched on with key on Start, so I know it is the starter switch. Which side of the solenoid does this one go to?

I'm needing wiring diagrams / wire descriptions would be awesome too!

Maybe someone can chime-in, as Mark A's got us on the right start!!

ColoCruiserJeff

I found the black with yellow stripe ign wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

I also have a large solid yellow wire run with the black/yellow wire. Does this solid yellow wire go to the solenoid or constant hot starter terminal where the battery cable is attached to.

In the wirring diagram it shows a wire going form the dizzy to the coil and then another wire from the coil to the interior fuse panel. Anyone have any idea what color this wire is supposed to be and where it comes thru the firewall?

It is very easy to confuse black/white and black/yellow after a few years of fading! Also White wires tend to look yellow.

The Black /Yellow is supposed to be the switched Ig wire to the coil.
The Black/White is the switched ST wire to the starter solenoid.
The large 'yellow' wire is more than likely the charge wire (OEM is white) and will connect to the same place as the battery cable on the starter.

All these wires exit just above the inspection lamp socket on the firewall.

Awesome - Yeah as I started to peel back into the harness the big yellow wire was indeed white.

I ran the white and the black and white as you said

While I am using my "dial a friend", should I run the black with yellow stripe directly to the coil?

I really appreciate all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom