Wiring Diagram for Front Speakers (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My stocker front speakers finally gave up the ghost and I decided to upgrade. They even buzzed listening to NPR/talk radio. Finding the speakers was no problem, but I was looking at my FSM to determine polarity so the new speakers would be wired correctly.

What I found in the wiring diagram was that the wires coming to the speakers are labeled '1' & '2' along with the color designation. I couldn't follow the wires as they black boxed back in the head unit. Knowing squat (or enough to be dangerous), I tried to use a multimeter to determine if one was positive and the other negative. I couldn't figure that out either.

My searches in the archieves ended up giving me conflicting information on which wire was positive and which is negative.

On a second note, didn't there use to be an 'audio faq'? It might not be a bad idea to consolidate speaker dimensions, wiring info, etc into a faq if one doesn't exist. I may be too sleep addled find one if a faq already exists (3hrs a night is killing me).

Thanks, Ross

Go to techinfo.toyota.com for field service manual and wiring diagrams

Go to techinfo.toyota.com for field service manual and wiring diagrams

Thanks for the suggestion

I already have the FSM and wiring diagram and don't want to spend $10 to probably download what I already have.

I am just trying to figure out the polarity and how the wiring diagram codes it. In the wiring diagram, the light blue is labled '2' and the light green is labled '1' (looks grey). There is no hint to the polarity, nor can I find any reference to polarity coded 1 or 2.

R

I'm sure all the audiophiles here will disagree, but if the rest of the system is stock and you're not planning to upgrade it, I'd stick with new "plug & play" OEM's.

From personal experience and several reports, after replacing just the front speakers with no amp and/or rear speaker upgrades, the system sounds like crap. My new front ones (I forget exactly what they are) are way too tinny and just don't "balance" well with the rest of the system.

By the way, here's a trick that will supposedly tell you the polarity:

Put some music on with a prominant booming bass drum or some such thing. When polarity's correct, you can see the speaker cone flexing out with the first "thump" of each note; with polarity reversed, it flexes inward.

Again, audiophiles of course feel free to correct me if this is BS.

Curtis

I'm sure all the audiophiles here will disagree, but if the rest of the system is stock and you're not planning to upgrade it, I'd stick with new "plug & play" OEM's.

Aftermarket HU that the previous owner had put in.

I don't want to 'assume', but I would guess that the light green labeled '1' in the wiring diagram is the input or positive.

I wish I understood wiring diagrams better, but why didn't they just label them positive and negative instead of this 1 and 2 buisness. :doh:

Oh well, I'm ready to eat crow and be embarassed, just waiting for someone to show my ignorance.

Thanks,

Ross

Ross,

Looking at the EWD, it appears pretty clear to me that the polarity is indicated on the diagram. Trace the wire all the way back to the stereo component amplifier on the diagram. Says FL- or FL+ etc.. Is that not what you're looking for?

:beer:
Rookie2

Quit being a bonehead Ross! You know I have the EWD in my garage. I'll call you, I just wanted to call you bonehead in front of everyone! :flipoff2:

Ross,

Looking at the EWD, it appears pretty clear to me that the polarity is indicated on the diagram. Trace the wire all the way back to the stereo component amplifier on the diagram. Says FL- or FL+ etc.. Is that not what you're looking for?

Rookie2

Sadly, the wiring diagram I have, back of the '94 FSM does not go into that detail. The wires are just color coded w/ the connector-pin information ending in a big box (ie stereo component amplifier, radio and player).

Sounds like the EWD goes into more detail than the diagrams I have, can you tell me if the 1 and 2 labels near the speaker icon can be used to figure this out?

Thanks,

Ross

Alvin, you are a big punk.

Last edited:
can you tell me if the 1 and 2 labels near the speaker icon can be used to figure this out?

Thanks,

Ross

In case Maddbaggins didn't get you,

1 +
2 -

Rookie2

Last edited:
In case Maddbaggins didn't get you,

1 +
2 -

Rookie2

Thanks for the info Rookie2. I hope this thread will help all the other ignoramuses like me who can't read a diagram or don't have the EWD. I will say there are three or four threads that address which speaker wire is positive or negative and they do not all agree.

As per the wiring diagram in the back of the '94 FSM,

the LG wire, light green (looks grey to me) is labeled 1 and is positive.

The L wire, light blue is labeled 2 and is negative.

Alvin told me to buy my own EWD and quit calling :D

Ross

Alvin told me to buy my own EWD and quit calling :D

Ross

For $10 it really is worth it to download it off the site. Having said that, strangely the wiring diagrams for the LC's does not list the polarity of the wires. I had to go to the LX diagrams to get that. Based on the wire coloring and number, it looks very similar to the LC's, so I felt comfortable in extrapolating which was + and which -. But don't come crying if something blows up on you :D.

Rookie2

For $10 it really is worth it to download it off the site. Having said that, strangely the wiring diagrams for the LC's does not list the polarity of the wires. I had to go to the LX diagrams to get that. Based on the wire coloring and number, it looks very similar to the LC's, so I felt comfortable in extrapolating which was + and which -. But don't come crying if something blows up on you :D.

Rookie2

I am in the process of wiring things in right now (baby and wife are napping). I confirmed the polarity with a battery. When wired as above, and the light green wire to the + of a double AA and the light blue to the -, the speaker extends out.

In retrospect and after looking through other diagrams in the FSM, I noticed that many of the relays are labeled w/ 1 & 2 where the 1 corresponds to incoming signal.

Sooooo, I am putting the bad boy to bed, thanks again for the help. I don't know why this was so cryptic. :cheers:

Now to figure out the changes in the wiring harness for the new HU. Seems the pwr antenna input can be a gotcha.

Ross

OK...just to clarify for those that read this thread and scratch their head. The wires running from the harness into the doors are in fact green and blue with blue being the positive and green being the negative. However, the clip that disconnects from the harness and runs with the short six inch wires to the speakers themselves are blue and gray. If these are used to tap or solder to new speakers, the gray becomes the positive and the blue becomes the negative.

OK...just to clarify for those that read this thread and scratch their head. The wires running from the harness into the doors are in fact green and blue with blue being the positive and green being the negative. However, the clip that disconnects from the harness and runs with the short six inch wires to the speakers themselves are blue and gray. If these are used to tap or solder to new speakers, the gray becomes the positive and the blue becomes the negative.

I put the gray/light green wire as positive and the blue/light blue wire as negative.

I hope this helps.

:confused:

Doesn't sound like you guys are agreeing here???

The EWD labels the wires as such:

light green 1

light blue 2

1 is the input or positive and 2 is negative. In my door, the wires are a gray/light green color and the other was light blue. I clipped the harness and using a battery I found when the gray wire was on the positive and the light blue on the negative, the speaker cone pushed out, which I was told was the correct operation.

This is how I interpreted what was in the earlier posts. I didn't dig into the harness near the door so I don't know how to interpret snowcruiser's post.

In any event, this is how I am wired up and nothing has exploded.

FWIW, I pulled out my stock front speakers this weekend.

There are a green wire and a blue wire that come off the main vehicle harness into the door. There are also a gray wire and a blue wire soldered to the speaker. Each set of wires attaches to the other via a small clip connector.

The blue wire coming from the wiring harness was connected to the gray wire that is soldered to the stock speaker. The green wire from the wiring harness attached to the blue wire that is soldered to the speaker. Confusing, right?

Anyway, on the back of the speaker, there was a stamped "+" next to the terminal with the soldered blue wire (ie, the green wire attached to the wiring harness). There was a "-" next to the terminal with the soldered gray wire (ie, the blue wire attached to the wiring harness.)

+ = blue wire attached to stock speaker, green wire attached to truck.
- = gray wire attached to stock speaker, blue wire attached to truck.

This was on a 1995 model, so YMMV. I know this disagrees with what Snowcruiser posted above, but I triple-checked to make sure.

If you look on the actual speaker terminal where the OEM wires are soldered onto the speaker, the positive terminal is bigger than the negative. This is the case on all speakers I've seen.

NPR is obviously lowering your intelligence to the point it is affecting your typing , grammar, and spelling abilities: "Glade that I am not the only one listens to NPR in there Land Cruiser". Let me help you out with the wisdom I have obtained listening to conservative talk radio. "Glad that I am not the only one who listens to NPR in their Land Cruiser." :D I kid, I kid!

Ok, so the wires in the doors of my 97 LX appear to be purple and pink! so not sure which is pos or neg, after reading the above post it appears the purple? would be the blue and there fore the neg?
Thoughts advice or help!

Cheers Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom