Wiring an 8274 + Albright (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey smokeeater, I did already and they are nice and helpful and very responsive. Unfortunately they sell only the Warn branded stuff and I was prepared to pull the trigger until I found all this talk about the aftermarket contactors.

Hey smokeeater, I did already and they are nice and helpful and very responsive. Unfortunately they sell only the Warn branded stuff and I was prepared to pull the trigger until I found all this talk about the aftermarket contactors.
Next I would try gigglepin

Next I would try gigglepin
They have what you need
4B5AF647-1F48-4624-AD37-36BC0A0259E3.png

Bit a resurrection of this thread but I am in the midst of a refurbishment of both an 8074 and a newer style (but still old) 8274 and there are numerous differences. A couple these have come along to bite me along the way, the biggest being the contractors (I bought two off Dieselize who supplied both a 12v and 24v one for me.) The problem is the covers; the old style with the chrome body protrudes quite a bit into the cover and interferes with the contractor (as WarDamnEagle was likely thinking.) The newer style is much shallower and is likely the one most guys refer to when talking about the solenoid swap. The irony is that I am not planning on using the cover on the 8274 but wanted to maintain the vintage cover of the 8074 for my BJ40. I was able to make it fit but it had to be turned to the side (with angled lugs) and I had to make a custom bracket to fit it (see third photo.) Here is what the covers looks like:

IMG_9267.jpg
IMG_9266.jpg
IMG_9054.jpg

Bit a resurrection of this thread but I am in the midst of a refurbishment of both an 8074 and a newer style (but still old) 8274 and there are numerous differences. A couple these have come along to bite me along the way, the biggest being the contractors (I bought two off Dieselize who supplied both a 12v and 24v one for me.) The problem is the covers; the old style with the chrome body protrudes quite a bit into the cover and interferes with the contractor (as WarDamnEagle was likely thinking.) The newer style is much shallower and is likely the one most guys refer to when talking about the solenoid swap. The irony is that I am not planning on using the cover on the 8274 but wanted to maintain the vintage cover of the 8074 for my BJ40. I was able to make it fit but it had to be turned to the side (with angled lugs) and I had to make a custom bracket to fit it (see third photo.) Here is what the covers looks like:

View attachment 2615662View attachment 2615661View attachment 2615659

I've been trying to decide how to mount the Albright under the cover and this one method I've considered. Thanks for posting the photos and pointing out the angled lugs.

Wired the Albrigtht and hooked up the winch to the battery, also had the controller wiring attached and had no action from the winch when tested. I tried all combinations of the controller wiring and still nothing. Anything obviously out of place with how I've wired the contactor to the motor?

IMG_6006.jpg
IMG_6005.jpg

Do you have a ground from the contactor (albright) to winch motor?

Godwin, where did you get your electric cables, cable end covers, lug ring terminals, and shrinkwraps?

Godwin, where did you get your electric cables, cable end covers, lug ring terminals, and shrinkwraps?

Cables from McMaster Carr, lug rings Waytek, shrinkwrap either Waytek or McC, cable end covers are Warn and I think I got them through Amazon.

Cables to the battery

LineProductOrderedShippedBalancePriceTotal
16948K93Battery Wire 600V AC/DC, with EPDM Outer Insulation, 2 Gauge, Black, 10 ft. Length1
Each
1 038.00
Each
26948K93Battery Wire 600V AC/DC, with EPDM Outer Insulation, 2 Gauge, Red, 10 ft. Length1
Each
1 038.00
Each

Short cables connecting contactor to motor

16948K92Battery Wire 600V AC/DC, with EPDM Outer Insulation, 4 Gauge, Red, 10 ft. Length1
Each
1 024.40
Each

Question on hooking up the controller. The one I have has 3 wires, one goes to 12+, yes? The remaining two go to the short outside posts on the contactor to control in and out because the middle post has been grounded to the motor, yes?

Question on hooking up the controller. The one I have has 3 wires, one goes to 12+, yes? The remaining two go to the short outside posts on the contactor to control in and out because the middle post has been grounded to the motor, yes?
White wire goes to power on contactor/power, cable to battery....black is either in/out...green is either in/out on male ends, left and right on contactor...center i think is ground......not sure if this is the same setup as my super winch contactor which looks similar

Ground goes to bolt/lug under motor.

White wire goes to power on contactor/power, cable to battery....black is either in/out...green is either in/out on male ends, left and right on contactor...center i think is ground......not sure if this is the same setup as my super winch contactor which looks similar

Got it working. Pointing out the need to ground the contactor to the motor was key. Used a multimeter to sort out the three wires for the controller and isolated the one needing 12 v. Winch is working great.

can you post a picture of exactly what wires go where? ill be doing this wiring thing in the not too distant future myself!!

can you post a picture of exactly what wires go where? ill be doing this wiring thing in the not too distant future myself!!

^ Same here.

Post #7 in this thread has a wiring diagram for download. PDF. That’s how I figured mine out.

I used the diagram in post 7 to wire the major wires from the contactor to the motor, but was still confused on how to wire the 3 wire controller. @woodsman 44 pointed me in the right direction with his question about grounding the contactor. In thinking through this I began to see the contactor as a large complex relay and that helped.

In this photo the black/yellow wire on the center post of the contactor is grounded to the grounding bolt on the underside of the motor, which is then grounded back to the battery with a 2ga wire. The red wire is coming from the winch controller plug and receives 12+, so it's wired to the post on the contactor where the battery cable is attached.

The black and green wires are for the in and out functions. With first test I had these reversed, but easy enough to switch. I see I forgot to add heat shrink n the black wire.

IMG_6018.jpg

Wiring of the controller plug. I plugged in the winch controller and used a multimeter and battery to test the wiring to determine which wire should be connected to 12v.

IMG_6016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom