Wireless Phone Charger Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grimmjow

YūGEN
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hello All! I'm glad to have my 80 back up and running after a year hiatus and had an idea to put a wireless charger in the space that just to me screams that is was made exactly for this in the center console. Good thing these 80's were designed with 2020 tech in mind :).

Steps are simple:

My console was looking rough so I removed and plasti-dipped it first then drilled a hole to pass the charge cord. I hate seeing wires so I ran the cord up under the center and shift consoles and attached to the cigarette lighter usb under the molding.

c1.jpg
c2.jpg
c3.jpg

Found this wireless charger on amazon that comes with a rubber matting I was able to trip and fit to the contours of the console.
Amazon product ASIN B07V3KGC8X
c4.jpg

The actual charger fits into the ribber holder to ensure that it stays put when opening the console. I would give you an example of my phone charging but was using it to take the pics, Old sample phone placed to give you a feeling for the size:

c5.jpg

Few pics of it after putting the console back together in the 80. So far so good! Just plop it down and it charges right up with no wires junking up the cab. Hope this comes in handy for anyone looking to do a simple weekend project!

c7.jpg

c8.jpg

Great design. I did something similar but it lasted probably 50 miles before i ripped it out. I like to use that console as a kind of arm rest but when the phone was charging it got hotter than hell. I very quickly learned not to put my arm near it. Next stop and i pulled it all out. Hopefully your experience is better than mine.

Last edited:
I like that! Good job! I wanted to go in a more friendly "un-doing way" in case it didn't work out :)
I had the same charger you have, but I wanted to see how long the charger would hold up before I drilled my lid. I posted our setup in @SmokingRocks thread. That charger unfortunately stopped working after a couple of months. Hopefully you have better luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom