Wireless Dual-Band A/G Media Center Extender

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arleaux, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Arleaux

Arleaux

Anyone using one of these?
    If so, please give me an opinion.

Oh, & I don't want to hear any Mac sh!t :flipoff2:

2. Arleaux

Arleaux

bbbbbBump

3. mabrodis

mabrodis

Do you need the 802.11A? That would be very odd, and if you don't need the 'A' stuff then I think you could get a b/g extender cheaper...now if you already have it then yeah it should work. I'm not sure RF-wise how they work since your computer possibly could hear/see the extender and the actual router, but they must have something figured out since I know people who use extenders, and they work.

I don't have a large enough house to need an extender.. :rolleyes:

:D

4. Arleaux

Arleaux

All I need is the g, & its not the distance I'm after. The rationale is that you can use your tv to view your computer (w/ xp media edition).

"Here are just a few of benefits of Windows Media Center Extender:
    • Easy access to the digital media – pictures, music, videos, live and recorded TV - on your Media Center PC from anywhere in the home.
    • One user can watch a movie using Windows Media Center Extender in the living room while another browses through the family's music collection on the Media Center PC in the den. Up to five different instances of Media Center Extender devices can run at the same time.
    • Works with what you have – Extender devices can hook up to almost any TV display or home theater system.
    • Supports high-speed wireless or wired home network connections with the Media Center PC.
    • Intuitive setup wizard guides users through installation making it easy to get going.
    • Supports the new features found in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 including dual tuner TV support, Electronic Program Guide, and expanded selection of Media Center add-on applications and services.

With a Media Center PC you can enjoy digital entertainment when and how you want through an easy-to-use remote control interface. The Media Center Extender is a new class of device that allows you to enjoy digital entertainment where, when and how you want.

Taking advantage of your home network, these devices extend the Media Center PC experience to TVs or displays in any room in the home. You can gather the family in the living room, press the green button, and enjoy all the videos, TV, music, and photos that are stored on the Media Center PC, even if it is located in a different room of the home."

I really just want to know if it usable, & if anyone likes/dislikes it.
    Thanks

5. mabrodis

mabrodis

:doh: Yeah I didn't really see the "Media Extender" in your original post...it sounds cool...I have some friends that have a similar, though slightly less cool setup with Linux boxes and freeware/hacked stuff...

Let us know how it works...

6. Arleaux

Arleaux

anyone?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.