wire hunting... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I've been rooting around in my 70 tonight looking for the usual dumbass previous owner wiring butchery, and figgered I'd have a go at hooking up a radio while I was at it...( do some dumbassed wiring butchery of my own:grinpimp: )

stock radio was there, tape deck wasn't, and the wires to the radio had the plug cut off them, so, I'll probably just throw the mp3 deck from my other truck into it.

question is, whereabouts is the step down transformer located on an 87 bj70 cdn spec? there's no power coming out of the leads that go to the old radio, so I'm figgering the transformers either hooped or unhooked...I'm assuming there was one on this truck.

other thing is, from the factory, should there be ANY 12v leads coming off the lowside battery? there is one wire coming off the 12v pole in this truck, it does look like a factory wire ( factory plugs and clips ) but as yet I don't know what the hell it does.

while I'm on the subject, the only manual I have for this truck is the Max Ellery , which is pretty good for mechanical things, but kindof sucks ass on the electrical side of things.

any good wiring diagrams on the net, or in another manual?

EDIT- found what looks to be a more helpful manual at birfield, takes forever to download tho....

thanks,
ryan

Last edited:
seapotato said:
Ok so I've been rooting around in my 70 tonight looking for the usual dumbass previous owner wiring butchery, and figgered I'd have a go at hooking up a radio while I was at it...( do some dumbassed wiring butchery of my own:grinpimp: )

stock radio was there, tape deck wasn't, and the wires to the radio had the plug cut off them, so, I'll probably just throw the mp3 deck from my other truck into it.

question is, whereabouts is the step down transformer located on an 87 bj70 cdn spec? there's no power coming out of the leads that go to the old radio, so I'm figgering the transformers either hooped or unhooked...I'm assuming there was one on this truck.

other thing is, from the factory, should there be ANY 12v leads coming off the lowside battery? there is one wire coming off the 12v pole in this truck, it does look like a factory wire ( factory plugs and clips ) but as yet I don't know what the hell it does.

while I'm on the subject, the only manual I have for this truck is the Max Ellery , which is pretty good for mechanical things, but kindof sucks ass on the electrical side of things.

any good wiring diagrams on the net, or in another manual?

EDIT- found what looks to be a more helpful manual at birfield, takes forever to download tho....

thanks,
ryan

Hi Ryan.

No 24V-12V stock converter on the 70 series. The HJ60 did have one.

Yes, on the Cdn 24V trucks there will be the evil center tap for the 12V headlights coming off the high side battery negative pole. There are a few posts walking through how it is wired. Basically, the 12V tap powers a 12V headlight relay. This relay has 12V and 24V coming into it. Theres a ton of wires coming out it, to supply both 12V and 24V to headlight pins. 12V is supplied to the 24V headlight ground, leaving 12V for the light, and the other headlight is straight 12V with 0V ground. Suffice it to say that it was designed to not allow an unbalanced draw on your system, which will happen if you tap to one battery for a stereo or alarm (as you know).

As you say...Max Ellery's diesel landcruiser manual is good. You can still get the Toyota HD manual from your dealer PN 36262E. Wiring diagrams in the back.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
there are toyota step downs you can purchase I believe, there is one in my truck too, i'm thinking somewhere in the dash but i'm not sure, once its warm i'm gonna look into it

My CDN 86 had a step down from the factory above the glove box . a little smaller sized as a pack of smokes. you need to take the glove box out and it should be right above it if its still there
But it was Key only on for 12v .
HTH some

thanks greg

, ok, well maybe my vocab was off a bit there, was reading the wiring diagram last night, and it says there's a resistor in line for the radio...

I forgot about the headlight thing, the batteries and wiring are a lot more visible and easier to figger out on the BJ40, this tap is actually coming off the lowside battery positive pole ( which amounts to the same thing really)

So, as to this alleged resistor, does it exist on an 87 70? I had the glove box out last night , pretty much could only see the glow plug timer and the whizjammer with the big heat sink next to it.

with the stock radio being 12v ( unless it really had 24 to it, but I can't get power out of the leads yet) I was thinking that resistor would be a quick and easy way to get 12v in there, until we find out about that old converter of mine...

cheers,
ryan

Koffer said:
My CDN 86 had a step down from the factory above the glove box . a little smaller sized as a pack of smokes. you need to take the glove box out and it should be right above it if its still there But it was Key only on for 12v . HTH some

Thanks. I have always been under the impression the 86/87 24V Cdn BJ70 did not have one, while the Cdn 24V HJ60 did have one. I stand corrected.

Maybe the one in yours failed. I've seen a number of failed ones on HJ60's.

Interesting the tap is off the low side. The BJ42 all have it off the high side negative pole, which as you say is the same thing anyway.

All bets are off if the wiring has been modified by PO's. I know there are trucks that have had the evil tap removed, and the headlights run 24V, making for a cleaner system.

hth's

gb

yeah the BJ70s are supposed to come with them.. mine is gone.. but i know that they are really expensive to buy, almost 400cdn. the "solar" model that is for sale looks like a good buy..

found the wee bugger. was above the glove box, little thing bout the size of a pack of smokes attached to a bigass heat sink. and yeah, doesn't work.

pretty simple looking circuit board inside there if one could find the components, but it's probably not worth messing with.

I'll probably just do the ugly stereo install for now, until I can sum up the coin to buy another solar.

cheers,
ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom