Wire gauge Warn 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What gauge wire can be used for the positive lead on an 8274?

The same size as the ground lead.

I do not use anything under 00 welding cable when making and installing this winch.

Thanks. I bought the winch many years ago. The negative cable looks like a 4 gauge and the positive looks like a 2 gauge. The positive wire rubbed the insulation so I was looking to replace both wires and rerun the wires.

The wires that Warn supplied will work, but size matters and bigger is better in this case.

Well that is interesting. If both cables are not the same size, resistance to current flow could damage the smaller cable, and cause damage to the winch motor as well.

I would make them both the same size, the larger gauge/diameter wire you can use, the better, as this will provide less resistance to current flow.

That winch pulls about 310 amps. 1/0 is questionably rated at 350 amps for automotive use. Anything under 1/0 would be under rated, and even though it might work for a period of time, it would not be the safest route to go.

Well that is interesting. If both cables are not the same size, resistance to current flow could damage the smaller cable, and cause damage to the winch motor as well.

I think that Warn was thinking that because the winch frame is grounded to the bumper and that is grounded to the frame, a #4 ground wire would be enough because it is redundant. It depends on if the ground is good and that is a big IF.
I think that the reason that Warn went with #2 is that they don't consider winching continuous duty. Bigger is better, but nobody got rich by second guessing Warn.

I ran 00 welding cable to the winch and another to the bumper it's mounted on for the ground, had the guy's at work crimp the ends on, Larry

reviving this thread because im curious about wire sizes between the motor terminals and then the main power/ground cables....
what was on mine was 4gauge for sure .... i see diagrams online that say use 2AWG all around and then 18AWG for the albright solenoid control wires.

thoughts? becuase i have some 4 gauge ready to go and i think i should order some 2AWG, but after reading this thread i hear people using 1/0gauge which i use for my main battery lead but i didnt think the winch needed that...maybe im wrong. I just want to get it right since im doing the rebuild.

im thinking im going to order 2AWG as the diagrams online say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom