Wipers jumping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can’t find a thread to match my problem. I have tried cheap and expensive wipers and they still jump and vibrate like crazy. It’s so annoying...

So do I just need new arms? Or whatever the non wiper blade part is called? Anyone else had same issue?

Thanks!

You mean like they chatter?
Wax from the carwash will cause this until it wears off.
Sometimes the pivot point of the wiper arm gets dirty/rusty and won't let the springs apply enough pressure on the glass, try lubing the pivots on the bottom of the wiper arms.
Thats the part when you pull the wiper away from the glass with the rivet.
The rear wiper on my wifes Volvo wagon did this, it wouldn't clean the middle of the rear window, sprayed with WD-40 and it worked great.

Not sure what the correct term is but this is what it sounds like but worse. This isn’t my car but same thing happens. I tried bending the metal but didn’t go to far as I was afraid of ruining the arm the wiper connects to.

Just to let you know the OEM wiper blade is NWB (nippon Wiper blade), and these work great. Not too long ago, I removed the cowl at the wiper arms and lube the wiper arm linkages and the two shafts that two wiper arms are attached.

Just to let you know the OEM wiper blade is NWB (nippon Wiper blade), and these work great. Not too long ago, I removed the cowl at the wiper arms and lube the wiper arm linkages and the two shafts that two wiper arms are attached.
I did this same thing just a few weeks ago to paint the cowl & wiper arms. My wipers didn't jump but it really does make a noticeable improvement in the wipers arms motion while you have them on. It just seems like they move smoother and more fluid now. However, my rear wiper does jump on occasion. By this I mean in heavy thunderstorms, not like a torrential down pour but anything that requires the wipers to be at any speed above 1/3 on the intermittent mode. I don't take my car through carwashes and always hand-wash it. I thought I saw someone post in a wiper blade thread a while back about how the LC/LX front & rear windshields are irregularly shaped and that contributes to all of the improper windshield replacements. Not saying it's truth just repeating what I read.

I tried some silicone spray this morning and no dice. I may need new arms(?)

I am ordering new arms for this issue, if that doesn't work then a new linkage. I have clay barred the Windsheild and run a polisher over it, changed to OEM blades with no joy.

I am ordering new arms for this issue, if that doesn't work then a new linkage. I have clay barred the Windsheild and run a polisher over it, changed to OEM blades with no joy.

Got a link?

I have Sil-Blade wiper's and they don't chatter.
They are silicone wiper blades.

I've run into this on many vehicles over the years, normally after winter when the windshield isn't really "clean" even after washing ect. I know this will sound absolutely ridiculous but I clean the windshield with warm water with dish soap(helps remove grease and build up) and 0000 steel wool with light pressure, you don't want to "scrub" with it. Yep, I know what everyone is thinking but it does the job and doesn't scratch or mark the glass at all and leaves it super smooth. I also apply rain-x after that. Remember 0000 steel wool NOT even one step down or you will be in trouble.

This was happening on a brand new windshield that was installed. And the previous one.

This was happening on a brand new windshield that was installed. And the previous one.

Then the windshield had a coating on it that needed to be removed.

In my previous vehicle, there was a slight gap between the hook and wiper blade that would cause the blades to skip as the free movement allowed the blade to bounce as it sweep across the windshield. Added some electric tape to ‘fill’ the gap and that was the end of my problems.

In my previous vehicle, there was a slight gap between the hook and wiper blade that would cause the blades to skip as the free movement allowed the blade to bounce as it sweep across the windshield. Added some electric tape to ‘fill’ the gap and that was the end of my problems.

This!

I noticed this same thing over the weekend when trying to fix them. I’ll try the same.

I have changed the wiper arms and with the washers it seems to be good now, but when we next get rain I will post a update. I did notice that the linkage has to much play in the spindle, but that shouldn't cause this. I will look at that next if the issue persists. My wiper arms where corroded where the wipers slide in, this was hopefully causing the vibration.
IMG_1278.JPG

Something that I have found to be nirvana with windshield wipers is actually changing to the RainX windshield washer fluid. It has a low concentration of RainX in it and will coat the windshield every time you use your wipers. It really helps to keep the windshield coated and lower drag over time.

Resurrecting this thread...

After 3-4 new wipers I broke down and bought Bosch Icons. Much better results but driving in the rain today I had similar results.

I think I need new wiper arms. Anyone have luck with aftermarket? $85 each is a bit steep for me right now.

WHat made you to think that you need new wiper arms?
I am also about to do the 0000 grade steel wool rub and rain-x. I saw a video a guy doing it to his car and he said he is doing it for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom