Wipers and getting DMV sticker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone ever use a non-stock wiper setup?

My cruiser is in bad shape. I had a high school buddy tell me he was an expert with cars and we decided to start doing a tear down. Half way through disassmbling all the doors and fixings I figure out he doesn't know ANYTHING about cars. For my trip I think I'm just gonna weld everything up (everything i dissembled). After doing the tear down so much stuff had to get kicked out due to all the rust. I think I'm gonna weld up the 3 panels in the back to prevent any rattling. Just seal it and keep it like that with no window.

Plan is take it to cape horn (fix wipers, fix rattling <weld everything>, put in a heavy duty battery/alternator/starter) and back.
58323_781632225966_37526054_41794326_6979701_n.jpg

165191_839426056666_37526054_42994113_1570684_n.jpg

I'm still unsure what shape my motor is in. When I bought it the owner told me it had just 3-4k miles on it, but the odometer doesn't work. Been 3 years and I' might have put 30 miles on it in that time. I'm also changing out the tie rod joints. Way too much play in the steering.

Last edited:
fix rattling

Good luck on that one:hillbilly:

Check with your local club or in the Mud classifieds, maybe you can score another windshield frame and some of the accouterments that go with the wipers used. I broke my wiper linkage, and found a replacement on Mud cheaper than the dealer or $OR.

Good luck on that one:hillbilly:

Check with your local club or in the Mud classifieds, maybe you can score another windshield frame and some of the accouterments that go with the wipers used. I broke my wiper linkage, and found a replacement on Mud cheaper than the dealer or $OR.

I'll fix the rattling even if i have to weld every panel :cheers:

I was initially gonna buy a KTM 990 and do it on motorcycle, but was adding up the numbers and just gonna be too expensive :(

Right now my main concern is that the cruiser will start up no matter what and the heat problem. Right now the thing isn't even starting from sitting during the winter. Realibilty, schmaliability. Seem like I have this problem every year. Hopefully the starter didn't get pushed out of place from sitting. Last winter had to add some more shims.

Last edited:
mine is extremely reliable - sounds like you've got other issues with your truck - treat it nicely and it will treat you nicely back!

i wouldn't recommend welding random things to your cruiser - it probably won't help with the value - you will never stop all the rattling - but why worry about rattling when the truck doesn't even run!

get it running, get it safe.. then make it nice :)

EDIT: is this about wipers or a trip or what im so confused.. what happend to the stock wipers?? should be able to get a used set no problem for less than a brand new aftermarket setup - would be a lot less headache too

mine is extremely reliable - sounds like you've got other issues with your truck - treat it nicely and it will treat you nicely back!

i wouldn't recommend welding random things to your cruiser - it probably won't help with the value - you will never stop all the rattling - but why worry about rattling when the truck doesn't even run!

get it running, get it safe.. then make it nice :)

EDIT: is this about wipers or a trip or what im so confused.. what happend to the stock wipers?? should be able to get a used set no problem for less than a brand new aftermarket setup - would be a lot less headache too

About the wipers. I'm checking on some sites for wiper setup atm. I've got a 65 cruiser. I've had such terrible luck with this vehicle. I bought it right here in classifieds, 3 days later after delievery the vehicle wouldn't even start. When I finally got it running, the interior of the vehicle was hotter than an oven and the steering was completely off etc.. Just problem after problem.

Vader your truck is a 65. You've solved the hot in the summer problem right there. Very few '65 vintage vehicles have AC. You have a removable top, better than most.

You steering is going to have play too. Not so much as to be unsafe, if it does fix it. This isn't a modern car that handles like it is on rails while keeping you a cool 72 degrees whilst cruising down the interstate at 85 MPH.

Buy an 80 if you want to be coddled. Buy a 40 if you want to drive a legend that makes a man outta ya.

Last edited:
is it just me or are you missing the hood hold downs entirely :eek:

do not drive your truck without those

Vader your truck is a 65. You've solved the hit in the summer problem right there. Very few '65 vintage vehicles have AC. You have a removable top, better than most.

You steering is going to have play too. Not so much as to be unsafe, if it does fix it. This isn't a modern car that handles like it is on rails while keeping you a cool 72 degrees whilst cruising down the interstate at 85 MPH.

Buy an 80 if you want to be coddled. Buy a 40 if you want to drive a legend that makes a man outta ya.

Yea I know. Just venting. Got a good 2-3 weeks worth of wrenching to get this ready for my trip. Hopefully passing inspection won't be too much of a pain. Once I finish wrenching, got a fair amount of test-driving state side before I head south. Want to make sure I've got all the kinks ironed out. I've actually also gotta get my vehicle decal thing re-made. I heard border agents give you hell if they can't make out your VIN. And mine is completely impossible to read.

is it just me or are you missing the hood hold downs entirely

do not drive your truck without those

Yea, they aren't on in that picture. Bolts all got rusted out, so now visiting the bolt store and swapping everything out with stainless steel bolts.

Last edited:
Yea I know. Just venting. Got a good 2-3 weeks worth of wrenching to get this ready for my trip. Hopefully passing inspection won't be too much of a pain. Once I finish wrenching, got a fair amount of test-driving state side before I head south. Want to make sure I've got all the kinks ironed out. I've actually also gotta get my vehicle decal thing re-made. I heard border agents give you hell if they can't make out your VIN. And mine is completely impossible to read.

Yea, they aren't on in that picture. Bolts all got rusted out, so now visiting the bolt store and swapping everything out with stainless steel bolts.

Venting is always a good thing. Good luck. You're a lot braver than I am. Taking a truck like that to the southern tip of SA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom