Wiper/Windshield Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that we're back in the rain in Texas, a persistent wiper issue has finally made me want to permanently fix it.

I had the car about a year before I switched out blades. OEM was what was on it, it did fine, but I was taking a trip and wanted new blades. Put on new OEM blades and they squeaked and streaked. Took them back and got Bosch. Marginally better, but after a month or two it was back. Essentially didn't drive in the rain until now and the squeak and streak is back with a vengeance. It'll be fine for the first few minutes of moisture on the windshield and then start causing problems. Turning them off for a minute and letting the windshield get wet again starts the process over.

It "appears" that the bottom of the wiper chatters across the windshield, while the top seems to squeak. It seems like this is on both wipers.

So things I have tried:
New blades (both OEM and top of the line Bosch)
Aggressively cleaning the windshield: I used tried and true GM/Goodwrench foaming glass cleaner and the ol' newspaper and vinegar
Rubbed my hand over the glass to see if there's anything
Searched this forum (saw one post where someone bent their wiper arms prior to the j-hook)

Before I start bending arms, looking to see if anyone else has this issue?

I'm thinking it's either equally bent arms (maybe?) or some residue on the windshield from an auto-wash that stubbornly won't come off. If it's the latter, any recommendations for a really good cleaner?

I guess the worst case is a new windshield, I have a big chip that would warrant, but it's Texas and unless it's obstructive, it's a waste of money.

Any help?

Now that we're back in the rain in Texas, a persistent wiper issue has finally made me want to permanently fix it.

I had the car about a year before I switched out blades. OEM was what was on it, it did fine, but I was taking a trip and wanted new blades. Put on new OEM blades and they squeaked and streaked. Took them back and got Bosch. Marginally better, but after a month or two it was back. Essentially didn't drive in the rain until now and the squeak and streak is back with a vengeance. It'll be fine for the first few minutes of moisture on the windshield and then start causing problems. Turning them off for a minute and letting the windshield get wet again starts the process over.

It "appears" that the bottom of the wiper chatters across the windshield, while the top seems to squeak. It seems like this is on both wipers.

So things I have tried:
New blades (both OEM and top of the line Bosch)
Aggressively cleaning the windshield: I used tried and true GM/Goodwrench foaming glass cleaner and the ol' newspaper and vinegar
Rubbed my hand over the glass to see if there's anything
Searched this forum (saw one post where someone bent their wiper arms prior to the j-hook)

Before I start bending arms, looking to see if anyone else has this issue?

I'm thinking it's either equally bent arms (maybe?) or some residue on the windshield from an auto-wash that stubbornly won't come off. If it's the latter, any recommendations for a really good cleaner?

I guess the worst case is a new windshield, I have a big chip that would warrant, but it's Texas and unless it's obstructive, it's a waste of money.

Any help?
I know for a fact that Bon Ami scrubbing cleaner (the kind that's in a can the size of Ajax or Comet) is a favorite of a some wiper blade engineers (both OEM and aftermarket) when they are testing or troubleshooting wipe quality problems. It's not uncommon for windshields to accumulate films and such that can hinder wipe quality, so the first step that a wiper engineer takes is to be SURE that the glass is clean. Bon Ami Powder Cleaner is a commonly used cleaner, the favorite of a few wiper engineers that I've personally known over the past 10 years or so.

All that said, it sounds like you've already given it a good shot at cleaning. And the Toyota/Lexus Uni-Blade is the best wiper blade in the world, IMO (has the lowest warranty incidence, and just generally wipes great for a long time), so it would make one wonder if something is amiss somewhere, but it would be unlikely that both arms or blade frames are damaged/bent such that they both would act alike with the streaking and squeaking.

As a point of reference, my '08 model (which has an EASY life sitting in the garage pretty much 100% of the time when it isn't being driven) has been running the same inserts since late 2014 and they still wipe silently, and very well (but not perfectly - I have replacements but just haven't installed them).

I think you are saying that the original OE blades worked fine, the trouble started when you change to new OE's. If I were you, I'd go buy a set of OE inserts at a Lexus dealer (or a Toyota dealer if they happen to carry the correct PN), install them, and see what happens. It'd be rare, but it could happen that there was something wrong with the replacement OE blades that you installed.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was concerned about using something like Ajax because of its abrasive nature and any possibility of windshield scratch. I'll give Bon Ami a try.

my 2011 LX570 with factory windshield got hit by an acorn and had a 2mm dent. slightly visible. I really don't want to let 3rd party repair service touch it, unless it's just a local repair. If I take it to Lexus dealership do you think they'll know what they are doing? I'm referring to all the sealing and moulding nightmares... Much appreciated!

FWIW, I had my 14 LC done through insurance - the guy said it wasn’t any more difficult than a Sequioa or tundra.

I was nervous because at 60k we still had original glass. It turned out fine - no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom