Wiper transmission rod disassembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
@thundermcawesum has inspired me to start my wiper restoration this weekend.

Complete disassembly and cleaning is now complete with the exception of the transmission rod.

Seems like it should be straight forward to remove the internal cable using a bench-vice/wrench holding + 2nd wrench on the nut on one of the two ends.

However, despite my best efforts, that has failed repeatedly and I'm worried continued attempts will damage a part in otherwise excellent condition.

Am I just not patient enough with the PB blaster or is there a superior solution out there to this type of problem?

Or am I just better off just leaving it alone?

IMG_3650.jpeg

@thundermcawesum has inspired me to start my wiper restoration this weekend.

Complete disassembly and cleaning is now complete with the exception of the transmission rod.

Seems like it should be straight forward to remove the internal cable using a bench-vice/wrench holding + 2nd wrench on the nut on one of the two ends.

However, despite my best efforts, that has failed repeatedly and I'm worried continued attempts will damage a part in otherwise excellent condition.

Am I just not patient enough with the PB blaster or is there a superior solution out there to this type of problem?

Or am I just better off just leaving it alone?

View attachment 3086107
Yup I have tried this before. I believe the rod is captured internally somehow. If you pull the rod until it hits whatever is holding it in, it feels like it was designed that way. Can’t really explain it further, but it doesn’t feel like rust or something. Luckily, you don’t need to remove the rod. Simply pull it as far to one side, remove rust/grease, then repeat with other side. I agree not the best solution, but it’s better than possibly ruining a nice part. I also shoot liquid white lithium grease into the sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom