Wiper Motor Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy All. Trying to get the the "park" setting on an FJ40 wiper motor to work.

Installed a new wiring harness in my 77 FJ40. Trying to use the old connectors for the wiper motor and switch. I do not have the old harness--just the connectors. They seem to match the description given in other threads here about wiper motor/switch wiring. I bought a new OEM style switch and I have things wired up as shown in the picture. High and Low settings work fine but the "park" setting does not work when the wipers are shut off--the motor just stops where it is.

I have looked the Coolerman page and other threads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Mike

IMG_2478 (1).jpg
IMG_2474 (2).jpg
IMG_2477.jpg

It is grounded as shown in the top of the diagram (from the body of the motor to the frame/body). High and Low settings both work fine.

Should it be grounded to one of the connections in the wiper motor plug?

did the park work before the new harness?
have you tried a ground to the park wire at the plug?
it could be the wiper motor itself.

I had the same thought--that it could be the motor. The vehicle was in really rough shape and not running when I bought it so I don't know if the park switch worked before.

Dumb question--ground to the park wire at the switch plug or the motor plug? Thanks! :)

I would try and get as close to the motor as possible, then you eliminate/bypass everything else. and you'll know where the problem will be.

The park switch on the motor provides the ground to keep the motor running until it reaches the park position where it switches and applies 12v to the low speed brush to brake the motor. Since your motor is stopping when you turn off the wipers then this is not working. I would look at your park switch function, make sure the "running" contact of the park switch is grounded, make sure you have continuity in your L/B "S" wire between the pull switch and park switch.

1651116717132.jpeg

I ran into a non-park on my 76, the wiper motor wasn't getting a good ground from the windshield, and the park circuit relies on that. The positive is constant feed with a switched ground for high/low, and the park picks it up the gound from the windshield.

I ended up running a jumper wire to ground to the cowl, as I had all fresh paint on the hinges and frame.

Howdy All. Trying to get the the "park" setting on an FJ40 wiper motor to work.

Installed a new wiring harness in my 77 FJ40. Trying to use the old connectors for the wiper motor and switch. I do not have the old harness--just the connectors. They seem to match the description given in other threads here about wiper motor/switch wiring. I bought a new OEM style switch and I have things wired up as shown in the picture. High and Low settings work fine but the "park" setting does not work when the wipers are shut off--the motor just stops where it is.

I have looked the Coolerman page and other threads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Mike

View attachment 2992991View attachment 2992996View attachment 2992998

u need bigger photos of this whole red repaired wire tech ?

red flag ?

IMG_247711.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom