Wiper motor - any retrofit options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks. The wiper motor on my '96 is at the end of its useful life, and I see that replacements are subject to the ubiquitous 80 series levy. Those for the 100 are about a quarter of the price. Does anyone know if it's going to be awkward to adapt the 100 unit to suit? I'm imagining I might need to plate the mount and re-drill/nutsert to suit the 100 motor? Appreciate any insights on this. Cheers,
Alex

It really depends on:
* mounting
* linkage ball
* connector/pinout

80 series:
B432B041-2F86-4044-B8FB-0CF3E7A5E1F9.jpeg
3274ADBB-6992-4FB0-A7ED-3BD96F43DE59.jpeg

100 series:
31AF9AEA-EBC8-4430-A119-331727083A7D.jpeg
35387C70-BCEA-4D2D-A41E-4F4136BECED8.jpeg

Btw I’ve never needed to rebuild an 80 wiper motor but have done so on a 60. Biggest issue was the ground cable.

E583D061-1FA0-42B1-8FAB-CF6B28482E5C.jpeg

Not sure it would be worth your time. Maybe cost is higher than a 100 series but it doesn't seem that bad.

Does the wiper motor remain on the correct side even if the steering wheel isn't then? Mine's an HDJ80R.

Does the wiper motor remain on the correct side even if the steering wheel isn't then? Mine's an HDJ80R.
I didn't notice that. Looks like it's more but I guess you already knew that.

Edit: Partsouq shows a substitution available:

That number looks like it was for RHD European models (UK and maybe Malta?).

Last edited:
CARDONE 432041 {#8508060151} on rock auto its 110 bucks

CARDONE 432041 {#8508060151} on rock auto its 110 bucks
DON'T DO IT!

My OEM wiper motor was acting up and wouldn't work in intermittent or low but high worked fine. I thought the motor was dying so I bought the most expensive reman from Rockauto. It lasted about 16 months before it started popping fuses. I opened my OEM, cleaned the brushes, added some grease, and replaced the Rockauto unit with my original motor. What shocked me was the condition of the Rockauto unit after I removed it. All of the rubber seals were crumbling, the epoxy melted out of the unit, the motor was grinding, and it was rusting from the inside.

After 27 years, my OEM is starting to make noises again and I need to pull it off and rebuild it.

Just get the Toyota one. Under $200 shipped from McGeorge. My original lasted 28 years, so I'm good with $200 and it will outlive me.

Just get the Toyota one. Under $200 shipped from McGeorge. My original lasted 28 years, so I'm good with $200 and it will outlive me.
You didn't read the whole thread. He has a RHD and it is a different motor. Or at least it's a different part number.

I believe a 3rd gen 4runner wiper motor can be made to work depending on the year. 80 series has two different wiper motors depending on the year.

Agreed, the change over seems to be mid 94? Early ones had four wires in the plug and later 5 wires.

Regards

Dave

You didn't read the whole thread. He has a RHD and it is a different motor. Or at least it's a different part number.
But there's still the $250 option from Partsouq. Probably $300 with shipping. That's not a huge price to pay for a critical part that lasts 30 years, so the sentiment is still valid.

Carmarka lists the '92 - '98 HDJ replacement part at $198.33.

They list the original part number at $186.88.

I haven't ordered from Carmarka yet, but all the feedback I could find on the internet was positive.

Hello all, I have a 95 left hand drive 1FZ.. apparently since last year all of the front wiper motors available to us in America, are discontinued / sold out... Not even Toyota has the part available... I tried rebuilding mine (reset the magnets with new epoxy) to no avail.. does anyone know of anywhere a front replacement motor can be found these days? I honestly can't believe that we are just SOL when our wipers fail.. my next attempt will be to go to the auto parts stores and trying to retrofit other units that may work(I saw the post about a potential 4 runner match).. any ideas on which units work best will be helpful as well?(I am trying to avoid paying a premium for a nearly 30 year old used part) .. thank you in advance guys.

Last edited:
I have used ones and they aren't that expensive. Send me a message if you are ok going that route

@Cruisin95 : Be sure to fill out the form at the Toyota Heritage web site to request the wiper motor be brought back and anything else you can think of that's discontinued, can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom