Wiper motor alternative for a 75 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks, new to the forum, just bought a 75 FJ40 off of a neighbor, he had two, and I just couldn't help myself. I had a 71 as a kid in the early 80's.. now that I have a little time and money I need another to have something to throw that in. My question is: The FJ came with some sort of after market ( I think as none of the part searches I have done came up with anything even close to that) replacement windshield wiper motor that is basically a dc motor, on off switch, gearing so the shaft moves back and forth, encased in some sort of brownish black Bakelite housing. Seeing that replacement, used, rebuilt motors cost several hundred dollars, was wondering if anyone can identify what I have and maybe tell me if they are still available somewhere or if someone has an old OEM setup sitting around somewhere they are willing to sell.

I might have an old one laying around. Post up a picture of what you have. A lot of these old assemblies can be revived without much work.

I might have an old one laying around. Post up a picture of what you have. A lot of these old assemblies can be revived without much work.

ww1.jpg

ww2.jpg

ww4.jpg

wwe.jpg

This is the little motor that I have. Super simple, no shaft, independent motor on each shaft.

what you show are wiper motors for 1967 and earlier, how about a pic of the windshield frame?
it is very likely the windshield frame has been swapped for an earlier unit.

what you show are wiper motors for 1967 and earlier, how about a pic of the windshield frame?
Here it is, sorry so dark, in a barn.. but the holes for the wiper shafts are up near the top of the frame.

ww6r.jpg

Here it is, sorry so dark, in a barn.. but the holes for the wiper shafts are up near the top of the frame.

View attachment 2724165

You Do NOT have a 75 FJ40 here in the photos ?

thats MUCH MUCH older , those HOOD bumpers black rubber blocks are a 1960's thing ?

@3_puppies will know your exact model year in this above photo

im a late model person , but I WILL take WAG and say 69 🤔

The hood bumpers are 69-74. Hood appears to have hood for windshield washer nozzles. 68-71. 72 started the one piece hood. This is still the two piece hood. The wiper motor is not OEM. The dual wiper motor ended with the 67 model and were TNK. These drive a single wiper arm. From 68 on a single motor drove both wiper arms. There is no knob on the back of the TNK wiper motor. The back of the rear view mirror looks like a 68-77 style. Obvious the windshield and hood are earlier than 75. What the rest the vehicle look like?

dual wipers up high and no vent underneath, makes it a 1967, only year
what does the inside of the frame by the cowl look like?

dual wipers up high and no vent underneath, makes it a 1967, only year
what does the inside of the frame by the cowl look like?

Mid 65 the vent was removed and cowl vent on the cowl started. I see the cowl grill in the picture. Not an OEM wiper could be something that was used when the original wiper failed. I believe I see the holes for windshield washer nozzles that started in 68. The rearview mirror also changed on the 68 model. The two level hood pads started 69. What's in the picture fits 69-71.

Here are some more pics to help with the mystery. Interesting that the VIN plate appears to be bolted on. Does this give any additional clues?

lc1.jpg

lc2.jpg

lc4.jpg

lc6.jpg

Last edited:
I checked the frame stamp, it matches the VIN plate. So that leaves the possibility of a older body on a 1975 frame? A 68 hood and windshield frame on a 75 body? What are some other things i can check to see what is going on?

Tub looks like 75 (fuel door, strap thing in the back, tire carrier on the left for ambulance door, old style tire carrier).
Doors look like 76+ (mirrors placement but could have been added after)
Windshield frame is 74- but the hinges are 75+.
Hood seems like 74- but mostly full of bondo so who knows.

Tub looks like 75 (fuel door, strap thing in the back, tire carrier on the left for ambulance door, old style tire carrier).
Doors look like 76+ (mirrors placement but could have been added after)
Windshield frame is 74- but the hinges are 75+.
Hood seems like 74- but mostly full of bondo so who knows.
It is a two piece hood, when did they go to a one piece hood?

Great catch on the wiper motor!

Did it come with two or one of these wiper motors?

Keep mind a 75+ wiper assembly is not going to work. The 66/67 used two wiper motors. That windshield was held up with a latch on each side. 68-74 has a single motor with a cable running over too the second wiper arm. That use knob with a threaded stud on each side to hold it up. Same as later years like 75. Appears your cruiser was put together from multiple years. Before you do anything would figure the direction you plan on taking? The 75+ wipers on the bottom was an improvement. The 68-74 are fairly rare. The motor for the 75-77 wiper are NLA but later one can be used. Main difference is the cover is larger on the 78 and would need to be sourced.

Thanks for the info. I have knobs, so that would put this windshield frame in the 68 plus range. There is no wiper motor on the bottom so that makes the WS frame less than 75. So I am guessing 68-74. The hood and body are still an enigma, I wish there was some obvious difference other than the hood seam to give me a date range. When did they stop the 2 piece hood with seam?

My direction is to have a reliable, fun FJ.. I think this one would be pretty hopeless to "restore". The previous owner has welded solid steel quarter panels on the rear, would love to get a template of the actual wheel well so I can plasma cut it back to making it look original.. but surprisingly very little rust, just some surface stuff. At the end I want to have fun and get most of my money out of it (pipe dream I know). I picked it up for what I thought was a decent price with eyes wide open that it needed help, so no high dollar stuff for me. It has a 327 in it which seems to run pretty well, it shifts fine, transfer case works, locking hubs work so all the driveline SEEMS to be okay. I am looking to put a suspension under it as this one is pretty saggy, new tires and wheels (these are old worn super swampers on original wheels), re wire the harness as it is patched together and worse then a bowl full of spaghetti, weld some stuff up and hit the trail with my 15 year old son.

I had a 71 FJ40 back when I was 17 in the early 80's and have some great memories from that FJ. Heading toward 60 and want some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom