Wiper Bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Threads
Guys does anyone sell just the wiper bushings for the wiper links?

Toyota does not. Also is this the same bushing size on other applications? My wipers are broken (bushing shattered) and I am about to go searching a junk yard in the rain. Would be nice to know a certain year of Toyota's all had the same bushing..

I already am missing a link bushing on the motor end. I've been running an aluminum block at that end greased up for some time. Now it is the middle bushing.

The wipers certainly were not meant to last for ever on these trucks.

Could you cut and drill, stock nylon or brass rod and make them? MIke

I bought 4 of those Aussie bushings, (great e-bayer) but unfortunately they do not work on the stock 60 series linkage, they are for the aftermarket linkage offered by that seller.

D'oh!

Last edited:
He's outta the game, or was about a year ago when I emailed him ...

I don't think it is possible to make your own bushings. Maybe an insanely talented machinist with a variety of mills.. But they are snap on type bushing. They push over the converter roller and then snap into place. Lots of little grooves.

To be in wipers I was able to get a used rod and bushing locally thank heavens. But at 350 bucks from toyota you would think there would be bushings aftermarket to buy.

I got one. Screwed around with it for two hours before I broke it. I think there's supposed to be a rubber sleeve thing that goes over the end of the linkage, there were remnants on mine, that holds the thing in. Or maybe I was doing it wrong (likely).

Gave up and took the crank arm off my old motor, ground the back off the swivel stud thing and put a 9/16" bolt with a greased dome-shaped rubber bushing, a washer and locktighted nut on it. Don't know what the bushing was off of as it was in the spare bolts and stuff bin, perfect size though.

Was a bitch to get on and it sounded like it was straining the motor (too tight?) yesterday but has smoothed way out today. The wipers cover more window, go where they're supposed to go and don't occasionally fall off the left side of the window like they used to, so far at least.

Looking at my defective picture--the flat thing next to the nut is the washer, and the bolt goes from the motor side through the crank, then the bushing then the linkage then the washer then the nut. No room for a lock washer and a nylock wouldn't thread on far enough so, locktight.

No photos but I drew this really, really nice picture.
Wiper fix.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I was also thinking that maybe a skateboard bearing the same size as the hole in the linkeage, a couple fender washers and a bolt would work, probably last forever if they did.

Does the cowl that covers all this stuff come off? It doesn't look like it, but looks can be decieving.
Working through those access holes around the hood braces is a bitch.

Do a you guys think a small heim joint would be up to the task? Perhaps heim joints are not built for constant rotational applications, I don't know. If they are suitable, I think they would imitate the plastic joints wonderfully.

Regarding sources, I have no problem fitting a used assembly. The fact they last 30+ years is amazing. If I get another 5 years out of a used one I'd be happy.

As of a few years ago SOR sold the boots that fit over the joints. The boots were not exact, but sufficient to keep the weather off the joints.

Rick

I havent took mine apart to look at it personally, but would THESE work?

It would depend on the size, both the od of the bushing and the id where the bearing thingie goes.

I'm still thinking skateboard bearing with a bolt through it and washers on either side. There's no need for a heim as there's little twisting motion involved.

The center hole would be 9/16" and the outer diameter 3/4" or 14mm and 19.8mm, I'm thinking that last needs to be 20mm and if it don't fit, force it--I got the measurment from the nylon bushing and it might be a wee bit small.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that rubber bushing came from a feed line from the pipe to the fixture in a bathroom sink. Yes, I AM the master of the re-purpose.

Here's a far better 'Paint' drawing of what I did:
Windshield bushing repair.png

I havent took mine apart to look at it personally, but would THESE work?

Would depend on the od and id.

OD = 3/4"-ish / 20mm-ish (19.8mm)
ID = 9/16"-ish / 14mm-ish (14.29mm)

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that rubber bushing came from a feed line from the pipe to the fixture in a bathroom sink. Yes, I AM the master of the re-purpose.

Here's a far better 'Paint' drawing of what I did:
View attachment 633155

Update!!

The rubber bushing failed at somewhere around 2-3 years down the road.
Working on a more permanent fix that will involve mounting skateboard bering(s), subbing in either spherical rod ends (heim joints) or scatch building a whole new armature, likely using spherical rod ends (heim joints).

Note: This time I pulled everything out to work on it, much easier. The rubber (well, maybe originally but now something hard and brittle) boots on the wiper arm studs broke so I'm thinking spark plug wire boots. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom