1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiper arm slipping

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by CDN_Cruiser, Mar 7, 2004.

1. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

I was driving home tonight and noticed that my wiper arm on the DS was acting a bit wonkey. I stopped and tried to fix it, but it doesn't seem to be engaging.

I had a quick look at the FSM and it seem to show one bolt that secures the wiper arm - do I just tighten this? Has anyone else experienced this?

In typical Toyota fashion, I also noted that they suggest some thing like 7 measurements to properly position the windshield washer spray - amazing... although I plan to test mine shortly.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, Hugh

2. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    Best to take it off and clean the post and hole before tightening. The grit in there acts as a lube.

3. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Hugh,

Both where the wiper blade attaches and the post it attaches to have serrations on them. If either gets striped the blade will slip or not operate properly. There is a 12MM (I think) nut under a plastic flap on the blade you lift up to get to the stud etc. I would take the nut off and see if either is striped or if the nut just came loose. Anyway, what I do is make sure the wipers are in there parked position (off), and position the blade about 1" or so up from the bottom windshield gasket, then push the serrated part of the blade down on the stud. Tighten nut. Hope this helps.

Bill

4. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at it tonight.

Cheers, Hugh