Winterizing your 80 -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious what everyone does here to winterize their lovelies....

... not that mine will be driven in the salty weather (rust never sleeps...), but I'm just curious what you all do when the snow falls --

THANKS!!

eric :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

[quote author=Hltoppr link=board=2;threadid=6094;start=msg48834#msg48834 date=1065652345]
I change all fluids out in the Fall, including coolant. I dont' put but 9 or 10K miles on my rig per year. Also, I pack more winter rescue/survival gear in it at that time.

-H-
[/quote]

do you change your oil viscosity??

Nothing - absolutely nothing. Ain't year round sunshine great in SoCal. :flipoff2: hehehe :D

I move the temperature selector off of blue :flipoff2:

New Bosch wiper blades. Since I use Mobil 1 0w-40, I can use the same oil year around. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: Not like it matters here in the Bay Area, but on those cold 5F nights in Truckee its nice.

Cary

Not much...I have a schedule I follow for oil, etc. and if that comes about in the fall/winter, then so be it. I don't change viscosities...I'm currently using 10W40 synthetic, but was previously using 5W30 (just didn't care about the efficiency thing; more interested in keeping the truck going forever :D).

But I do check wiper blades, make sure there's windshield washer fluid that's compatible with where I'm going (I travel from NJ where it almost never freezes to near Canada where you need to have -30 F fluids). But that's not anything special--it's just common sense.

Oh...and I freeze my butt off at times.... :flipoff2:

Tom

Take the bike carriers off my wife's Thule rack, put on the ski/snowboard carriers. She doesn't use them, they're remnants from my single life that would sit in the basement. She thinks they make princess look cool, that's what matters.

Make sure the remote starter is working, usually by pointing it out the window the first time I see frost on the w/s. :D

I also tend to leave a jacket in it when I leave for work and it's cold and forget it when I come home in the warm. That jacket often comes in handy at some point during the winter.

I keep a strap in it at all times and I will end up leaving a pair of jumper cables in it. When it's dark in the morning, I get about 3 new drivers a week who come to the shop after school because they need a jump. . :doh:

Flush cooling system & put in fresh toyo red. New bosch wiper blades. Sipe the tires 1/8" deep. Put some methyl hydrate in the gas tank. Try to keep tank at least 1/2 full. Spray winch with WD40. Make sure the box contains jumper cables, tow straps, extra winter gloves, survival stuff etc.
Sean

Diehard? :'(

Truestart fer me :flipoff2:

In goes the ice scraper/brush. Oil change if the mileage will come up soon so i'm doing it in reasonable temps, winter washer fluid, toss Warn recovery kit in, a can of dry gas late in the Fall to eliminate any accumulated water. When temps start regularly dropping below freezing at night on go the studs, though this year we're using the Michelin Arctic Alpins for the second winter. They're on steel Sequoia rims, so I don't get caught in the tire store rush anymore. Since it will be dark a lot while driving, I also check all exterior lights are in working order. The last time I wash the car in the drive, I spray the door seals with silicone or rub them with paraffin to prevent them freezing to the body. Then it's car wash bays until spring. Finally, the driver's mat comes out of both cars and is replaced by a rubber, deep ribbed mat. I'm cheap, so I bought a pair of those nice English ones and split them up since it's really only the driver's side mat that gets trashed.

IdahoDoug

Hmm,Ok I got a question.I hear a few of you mention you add a gas dryer of some sort.Well I recently had a 90,000 mile service and the fuel filter was replaceed at around 70- something dollars.I kinda choked on this and the dealer said it's a fairly sophisticated filter that does more than just filter gas,one thing being that it has the abillity to filter out moisture from your gas.were you guys just unaware of this or was he feeding me a bunch of bull-honky? Thnx,Vince

Ok just a lil off on the price.list price 38.00,unit price 31.00.p/n 23300-69045..Iknew Dan-the-man would catch my goof so I double checked :D

Yer dealer uses an escalator :'(

Toyota's published LIST price is $31.60 :rolleyes:

Would completely spraying your body with Dupont colormatched bedliner count as a winterizing technique?

I keep thinking it may happen!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom