Winter Wheeling Tire Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The snow is coming down and I'm curious what some of the more experienced guys are doing in terms of your winter trail tires. Are any of you siping mud terrains or is the compound too soft for that? Right now I'm cooking on some 33"X11" falken wildpeak M/Ts but just picked up some 34.4"X12.5" westlake radial M/Ts. The falkens are much stiffer and I'd feel more comfortable chopping those up without worrying about losing lugs. But the Westlakes were supposed to be my dedicated trail tire. I'm kinda conflicted and would appreciate any insight.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 144951.png

I’ve never siped my own tires so no idea but it has to help, especially on a mud terrain.
What about running a winter rated AT tire, like the Wildpeak?
I can no longer endorse BFG AT’s for winter, even though they have the snowflake rating. My 100 had them and lost contol and rolled in winter weather. I wasn’t on that ride so no idea on driver error but the tow truck guy said that 5 vehicles in a row he recovered from winter crashes had those BFG’s on em.

Where could you get tires siped? I don't know of anyone who recommends aftermarket siping anymore. I've never run M/Ts, but a good friend of mine says that airing them down in icy conditions helps a lot.

I don’t really wheel in the winter so will be no help.

Last time I went in the winter was with @dogfishlake and he ended up having to pull me out after I fell through some thick ice.

Bourbon may or may not have been involved.

Where could you get tires siped? I don't know of anyone who recommends aftermarket siping anymore. I've never run M/Ts, but a good friend of mine says that airing them down in icy conditions helps a lot.
The airing-down idea is interesting.
Maybe it exposes sharp edges that aren't normally in contact with the surface?

I think harbor freight sells a tool or two I could use, or I could go make one on campus at the makerspace.
Right now I'm rolling around town at about 15 PSI and that seems to be doing the trick. I think I let people sike me out about running MTs in winter, It ain't that bad. I think only having three working brakes and no ABS is honestly more detrimental to my winter performance.

I think harbor freight sells a tool or two I could use, or I could go make one on campus at the makerspace.
Right now I'm rolling around town at about 15 PSI and that seems to be doing the trick. I think I let people sike me out about running MTs in winter, It ain't that bad. I think only having three working brakes and no ABS is honestly more detrimental to my winter performance.
We have run MT's since we moved to Michigan 7 years ago. They aren't that bad in the winter.

I don’t really wheel in the winter so will be no help.

Last time I went in the winter was with @dogfishlake and he ended up having to pull me out after I fell through some thick ice.

Bourbon may or may not have been involved.
Maaaaaaybe

I have a tire groover and blades.
If you have big paws at all the handle can make your hand sore. Sharp blades are a must and drinking doesn’t seem to help somehow.

Where are you located?
Right now the Keweenaw but from mid December to early January I'll be in the SE Michigan area. I'll also be headed out to the GR are for some interviews. Unfortunately I'll have to get my Lexus up and running first before I get out there.

I need to get some tires for the 460, it now has Nitto ridge Grapplers that are totally worthless on snow, ice and wet pavement. Last winter was white knuckle. I run Nokian Hakkapeliitta on the Subaru, maybe I'll refinance the house to get a set for the 460.

Bought a set of Blizzaks for the 460. Went from 285 down to 265 width for winter also.

Our Canadian driveway is 1.5 miles and unplowed - been "tamping it down" every day since the storm started. Truly amazed what the 80 can handle. It's still coming down hard and today's expedition felt like I was nearing the limit, will probably need a neighbor to plow us free later this week 🇨🇦

Happy holidays everyone!

1000001403.jpg

Our Canadian driveway is 1.5 miles and unplowed - been "tamping it down" every day since the storm started. Truly amazed what the 80 can handle. It's still coming down hard and today's expedition felt like I was nearing the limit, will probably need a neighbor to plow us free later this week 🇨🇦

Happy holidays everyone!

View attachment 3201910
That is awesome. Happy Holidays, Dave!!

Happy holidays everyone!

View attachment 3201910
An 80 doing its thing! What a great photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom