Winter Tires?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to decide what the best bet would be for winter tires. I did purchase some 16 inch rims off ebay. I am now living in NW Montana in a "snow belt". I will be driving on an ice covered highway 29 miles each way that will occsionally be covered with a foot of snow or more. Could be dry, could be wet. There is a fair amount of slush at various times as well. What do you guys think of Blizzaks? Maybe BFG A/T KO? Others?

Thanks!
BC

Second the Hakka's. I have used Hakka's (4-different models) for the past 15-years on our Saab's. They are flat out the best winter snow/ice tire made...even above and beyond Guslavads. Better performance than Blizzaks (quieter, better deep/wet snow traction, ice & wear)...not cheap but the best never is!

JM2centsworth

Which tyre does Nokian make for a Land Cruiser? The biggest Hakkapeliitta 10LT is 265/75R16 and it's load index is lower than stock (should be 114, but is 112).
To see the best snow tyres you should check what Icelanders put on their trucks ;).

I use Blizzaks and I'm satisfied. But here we don't have that much snow.

Regards

Samo

SamoL said:
Which tyre does Nokian make for a Land Cruiser? The biggest Hakkapeliitta 10LT is 265/75R16 and it's load index is lower than stock (should be 114, but is 112).
To see the best snow tyres you should check what Icelanders put on their trucks ;).

I use Blizzaks and I'm satisfied. But here we don't have that much snow.

Regards

Samo

I haven't checked the Nokian site for LC sizes...my GY MT/R's get me 'by' ;)

I know that Seans swear by his Yokohama Geolander I/T for the Ferny, BC witners. They come in sizes up to 315. May want to look them up. Last year when I tried to find the size I had to down load the PDF file to get the right size(waqs not on web site) or have a dealer look them up. later robbie

For driving in snow every day, you need dedicated snow tires (preferably on a dedicated set of wheels). My relatives in rural Hokkaido drive a lot in the winter (200 mi from Vladivostok) and only use Blizzaks or studded. I haven't heard of the Hakka's (not many sizes available, it seems) and might be wary of buying tires from a small company (as compared to Bridgestone, Michelin, etc.).

first, nokian is no small company.

second, i third the hakkas.

according to www.nokiantires.com there are sixteen dealers in montana. i purchased ours online. there are a couple of dealers that offer decent pricing on the web.

they are far superior compared to my 80's pirelli scorpion ice and snows.

Which Nokians did you buy? They indicate that there isnt a model for the LC.

I do have two sets of wheels. One 18 and one 16.

Thanks,
BC

Went to college in upstate NY in the early 90's (drove through the snow belt all the time) and had BFG's on my 89' toy 4runner... work'd great.

bcripe said:
Which Nokians did you buy? They indicate that there isnt a model for the LC.

I do have two sets of wheels. One 18 and one 16.
The Hakka 10LT comes in a 265/75-16 which is slightly larger diameter than stock. But as SamoL pointed out, its load index is 112 (2469lbs) vs the OEM tire at 114 (2602lbs). That's your call if you want to use it.

The Hakka SUV comes in a 265/70-16 which is 30.6" in diameter or 0.7" shorter in diamter than OEM but has a load range of 114.

If you are interested in a studded tire (Hakka LT), they have the perfect size for you. 265/75-16 (load range of 119) 31.7" This would be their best tire for extreme weather.

Well I went all out and bought the Hakka LT 265/75-16 studded (you can buy them non studded). $200 apiece from tirefactory.com and free shipping. If I had traction control I would have just bought BFG. But since I have a 99, these are my traction control!

Thanks for recommendations,
BC

Pray for ice and let us know how those studded tires work for you. ;)

I use Nokian Hakka SUVs studded, they are the best brand I have ever tried.
Here in Greenland, we have lots of snow and pure ice on the road.
Studles are useless in some periods during the winter. BFG AllTerrains, Mud Tarrains, Grapler ets. are useless. Studded BFG ATs are ok, and looks great too.
But if you use too big (wide) tires, you won’t have the grappling effect on snow as with smaller (narrow) tires. 265s or 245s have excellent breaking on snow/ice. And you will come easier through deep snow.
Icelanders use huge tires on their vehicles to get on top of the snow, not to go through it.
If I want to go on snow, I’ll use my Skidoo Rev Summit X 800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom