Winter Tire Set (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys
I have my 2015 Taco 4cyl 4x4 great truck intended purpose to keep the salt and slop off the Land Cruiser and other expensive trucks .
I was luck to find a great low milage truck , I Por-15 coated the complete underside including body floor and wheel wells .
Being in the northeast we could get snow .
Just kicking around getting a winter set of tires and wheels .
My commute is only 3 miles to my shop so having a aggressive tire wont hurt .
Right now truck has a LT highway tire great for road but not off-road .
I live in Pa and do hit the NJ pine‘s for light sand .
Since the truck is stock I would figure 265 is the biggest for this 4 banger .
Any of you guys swapping tires in the winter ? What are you running ?

Hey guys
I have my 2015 Taco 4cyl 4x4 great truck intended purpose to keep the salt and slop off the Land Cruiser and other expensive trucks .
I was luck to find a great low milage truck , I Por-15 coated the complete underside including body floor and wheel wells .
Being in the northeast we could get snow .
Just kicking around getting a winter set of tires and wheels .
My commute is only 3 miles to my shop so having a aggressive tire wont hurt .
Right now truck has a LT highway tire great for road but not off-road .
I live in Pa and do hit the NJ pine‘s for light sand .
Since the truck is stock I would figure 265 is the biggest for this 4 banger .
Any of you guys swapping tires in the winter ? What are you running ?

I'm currently not swapping between summer and winter tires. I'm running the Cooper S/T Maxx and have had good luck with them in the past on my 80 series with everything I've thrown at them (snow, ice, mud, sand, rocks, shale). They're a hybrid AT/mud tire. The Goodyear Duratracs are very good for winter driving as well. Both of these options are also studdable if that's your thing. My commute is 35 miles one way and I haven't felt the need for studded tires even with Midwest winter road conditions.

I also WoolWax the undercarriage of my vehicles for the winter to protect from road salt.

I just ordered a set of the Duratrac’s yesterday , I know how good the BFG’s are but they have never been for me they have a weird tread pattern that dose not work for me .
I do like the new Goodyear Duratracs and seem to have a good trac record .

It's all about the siping. If your tires don't have a lot of siping then they aren't going to be good in winter precip. I had BFG KM2s on my previous 80 which had exactly zero siping and they were downright scary in winter slop. The KM3s didn't add any siping but they did break up the center blocks. The Duratracs have tons of siping, in fact on every single block on the tread pattern. I've heard complaints of weak sidewalls on the Duratracs though but if you're not wheeling them then that wouldn't matter.

Duratracs all the way. I am optimistic you will be pleased.

I've personally had no strength issue on my E-loads, and they see a few thousand miles of desert rocks annually. 20 psi is about the lowest I air down. Plus they last forever when rotated regularly. Others may have had issues, just my two cents. I will be buying another set.

I thought I was in the 4Runner section but no matter.
I put Firestone Winter Force snows on the 4Runner a couple years ago and I can go thru just about anything.
A good blast of Fluid Film on the botton and it's ready to rock.
DE2E7FA6-2469-4781-9E76-2EC691CC39A1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom