Winter projects on your rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My big project was some rust repair in the rear corners. I have attached a before and after picture. This was my first real body work. I realized that I am not a "body man". My feeble skills barely got me by, but it looks okay. From a few feet away, you can't even tell. The paint even turned out pretty good. The sill was rusted out underneath, so I had to weld in some good metal to that, also. The project probably would have been easier if I would have used some patch panels from CCOT or the like, but I just used a piece of 14g metal that I bent around the corner and tacked in.

If not for the info here on Mud, I would have never attempted such a project. Thanks everyone!

GREAT WORK!!!:cheers:

Saginaw power steering, thanks Greg & Jeff

reworked top.

new synthetic winch line. Thanks :princess:!

Hi All:

"Nutley," which t-case were you running before?

What mods did you have to do to get the Atlas t-case to work? Different rearend? Tranny adaptor?

What ratio Atlas? :D

Thanks!

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

"78 FJ40," which cage kit are you going with?

What rear seat are you gonna use? Factory "jump" seats or a forward-facing seat?

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll be installing a full cage and back seat so I can take my daughter on runs.

Hi All,

Drew, great job on that front bumper! And, that trailer project is crazy!

Keep the photos coming! :D

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well,

I built this front bumper for my fj40... installing and wiring up the Hella 4000's tomorrow with a new fuse block for all the crap I keep adding to the 40.

Here is a link to the bumper build up thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/197893-bumper-build-101-a.html

I am also building an expedition style trailer from scratch for backcountry camping and traveling:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-te...expedition-style-trailer-build-up-thread.html

Trying to finish up the 40 for the spring/summer season. Girlfriend says she wants to have it for when we get married this year, probly sep. I am hoping to have it %75 done, no top doors etc, but running and mechanicly sound.

Doing powertrain asembly now, looking ahead to sandblasting the rest of the body, and then its onto paint. When I run outa parts for that I bend up brake lines.:D

Winter Mods

I finished mini PS in my '68/'69/'77 with the help of my bro. Currently rebuilding a 3spd t-case into a 4spd housing, which I'll then mate to the SM460 sitting in my garage :rolleyes:. Contemplating if I can fit a NP203 GRB in there without having to get too crazy - and wondering if I need it.

Will likely flip my rear springs when I install the new tranny/t-case to move the rear axle a few inches and dodge the drive-shaft modification bullet.

Hi All:

"Nutley," which t-case were you running before?

What mods did you have to do to get the Atlas t-case to work? Different rearend? Tranny adaptor?

What ratio Atlas? :D

Thanks!

Alan

Currently still running a one piece cruiser case, the atlas is still a month out so I havn't done anything yet. Planning to clock flat which is going to make things tight. Floor is going to have to get cut up a bit and the stock gas tank my have to go bye-bye, clearance of the reverse hump of the sm420 is going to tight with the front drive shaft as well and I may have to make a new passenger side motor mount... Oh and I have to modify my cage so my seat and assembly come out.

I'm getting a 5.0 unit, having setup with a d300 input adapter is Novak 423R, I have to put a new mainshaft in my transmission as well. should be pretty short w/ the adapter only being 3.2". I'm planning to put a tocoma rear end in my truck but i'm still hunting for an 8.4 4.10 diff, may have to make a cruiser hybrid if I don't find one soon. Needs to be running by the third week of march, we'll see if that happens with the case so far out :frown:

I'm gonna try and get pic 1 into pic 2, plus all new wiring, plus see my kids and work. Maybe clean my garage too, we'll see ...
winter1.jpg
winter2.jpg

Hi All:

"Nutley," with a 5.0 Atlas and a SM420 you are gonna be a crawlin' fool! :D

So, the wisdom now is that a Taco 8.4 inch diff is stronger than a TLC 8.75?

Have you seen that article in Peterson's Off-Road covering the new Tundra rearend (that comes with the new 5.7L V-8)? From the photos it looks nearly as big as a Corporate 14 bolt diff, and has 36(?) spline side gears.

Regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently still running a one piece cruiser case, the atlas is still a month out so I havn't done anything yet. Planning to clock flat which is going to make things tight. Floor is going to have to get cut up a bit and the stock gas tank my have to go bye-bye, clearance of the reverse hump of the sm420 is going to tight with the front drive shaft as well and I may have to make a new passenger side motor mount... Oh and I have to modify my cage so my seat and assembly come out.

I'm getting a 5.0 unit, having setup with a d300 input adapter is Novak 423R, I have to put a new mainshaft in my transmission as well. should be pretty short w/ the adapter only being 3.2". I'm planning to put a tocoma rear end in my truck but i'm still hunting for an 8.4 4.10 diff, may have to make a cruiser hybrid if I don't find one soon. Needs to be running by the third week of march, we'll see if that happens with the case so far out :frown:

I just installed a Kaymar Bar on my 72 Fj40.
It required some extra drilling due to the cruisers vintage.
Also, I have no amber turning lights, since I didn't run another wire as on newer '40s.
But it looks great, i'm just waiting for my swing-out tire carrier for the right side of the rig.

Hi All:

"Nutley," with a 5.0 Atlas and a SM420 you are gonna be a crawlin' fool! :D

So, the wisdom now is that a Taco 8.4 inch diff is stronger than a TLC 8.75?

Have you seen that article in Peterson's Off-Road covering the new Tundra rearend (that comes with the new 5.7L V-8)? From the photos it looks nearly as big as a Corporate 14 bolt diff, and has 36(?) spline side gears.

Regards,

Alan

The choice of the 5.0 unit has more to do with the future when I do a heart transplant. The wisdom is that the 8.4 is definitely stronger than the coarse spline third I have now, and that I believe it is the same strength as a LC fine spline third. It will also be a lot less work to just toss the correct diff in the axle I have access too then to build a centered rear.

I haven’t seen that article but I recall Toyota used some funky spline count like 33 or 34 or maybe 36?

Hi All:

"Nutley," it is on page 46 of the January 2008 issue of 4 Wheel & Off-Road.

According to the article, the axle is made by Hino and the model designation is BD26B, and only comes in the Tundra with the 5.7L V-8.

The article states specs like 36 spline, 1.457 inch 'shafts, with a 10.5 inch ring gear, and higher pinion position than either the Ford 9 inch or the Corporate 14 bolt. And, ARB is developing an Air Locker for this new diff!

Regards,

Alan

Hi All:

O.K. - my rear spring swap is almost finished!

As in all projects, there are often steps that must be re-done because of unexpected occurrences! :rolleyes:

But, the springs are all bolted-up, longer shackles on, just waiting on the drive shaft (in the shop currently to be re-tubed.)

Here are some "before" and "after" photos - the "before" is from last Summer, while the "after" is how the rig sits now with the axle moved back four inches.

Regards,

Alan
DSCN0155A.jpg
DSCN0357.JPG
DSCN0356.JPG

Glad to see the project is almost completed, Alan. Time to get her muddy again, Aye?? You will LOVE the new cushy ride !:cheers:Alex

O.K. - my rear spring swap is almost finished!

The new springs look good, Alan.

Hey, you never commented on my winter project. Here it is, complete except for the clean-up and a seat cover. :D

attachment.php

Hi All:

Thanks Todd. Say, is that the rig that you "stole" from Mikesta? :D

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The new springs look good, Alan.

Hey, you never commented on my winter project. Here it is, complete except for the clean-up and a seat cover. :D

attachment.php

Thanks go to Jason and Ken for all the great work, especially on the design. It's still in the planning stage. Front hoop to come this weekend. Six connection points, all will go to the frame.
DSC00681 (Small).JPG
DSC00682 (Small).JPG
DSC00683 (Small).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom