Winter oil for 3B engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jim land

SILVER Star
Threads
I did alots of search here but did not find the answer
PO was using full synthetic oil for this bj42 from 1984 to 2014 .
I own it since 2015 and use rotella 15w40 t5 synthetic blend and wix 1515xp filter .

The question is about using rotella 10w30 t5 sb for the winter , should be good to -25C from the specs from shell rotella , no plan of using it when it get colder then that .

Oil experts. ?

what is the lowest temp it could get sti

1570680667457.png

Looking around the internets, there seem to be some consensus Toyota oil is actually Mobil ol and is on the bottle somewhere in small print. Has anyone seen this?

Looking around the internets, there seem to be some consensus Toyota oil is actually Mobil ol and is on the bottle somewhere in small print. Has anyone seen this?

This is definitely the case for the US market. Other markets probably have different agreements with different oil providers.

I believe Japan market Toyota oil is Motul, for example.

This is definitely the case for the US market. Other markets probably have different agreements with different oil providers.

I believe Japan market Toyota oil is Motul, for example.

I looked at an Australian container and couldnt see any other brand. I dont think there is going to be much difference between Motul Mobil Shell etc.

I looked at an Australian container and couldnt see any other brand. I dont think there is going to be much difference between Motul Mobil Shell etc.

agreed. Oil technologies have gotten pretty good across all major oil brands worldwide.

I've had good luck with Rotella T6, have used both the 5w40 and 0w40 here in ALberta, still air temps in the minus 40s are a real thing at times. There is a difference for cranking speed and how quickly oil pressure comes up between the two. and the difference between a 15w40 and either is massive. Just for fun you can try putting a bit of 15w40 in the freezer overnight and then try to pour it. Then imagine trying to pump it through an engine. Its an eye opener.

I seem to recall being told it was Castrol here in Oz but I can't verify that.

Well, first, you should consider storing your BJ42 for the winter season, salt and short wheel base may give you some problem along this long season, then, I’m pretty convince synthetic oil was not on the market in 1984 ;)

Still, 5W30 should be the correct oil thickness as per the FSM.

Im not sure now, but it was for some kind of toyota diesel. The oil viscosity is chosen to suit the temperature range.
I have some other charts but they just show a greater range of oil

Well, first, you should consider storing your BJ42 for the winter season, salt and short wheel base may give you some problem along this long season, then, I’m pretty convince synthetic oil was not on the market in 1984 ;)

Still, 5W30 should be the correct oil thickness as per the FSM.

I know i should store it but i need it , this is my daily driver since 2015
Generous application of fluidfilm on the frame help alots .
Im driving 40 series since 92 and it is sure not for the rookie in the winter
Im not using it when its like -30c and plan to get a beater after the holydays , but the 42 will stay registered and ready if the beater broke

My manual is in Japanese and I missed that class. :lol:

This is the one from the 3B engine manual. It is just a little different is why I asked. I thought it might be earlier than the one above.

20191016_095652.png

Too bad we can't merge these two threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom