Winter Event's/Get-Togethers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

packman73

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.kumandgo.com
Anyone up for some winter wheeling? Yeah, the snow's not even on the ground yet, but let's start looking for something to do this winter when it's crappy outside!

-Disney, OK (7 Hour drive from DSM)
-Hannibal Rocks (4 Hour drive from DSM)
They have an event over New Years that draws a lot of rigs
-Flat Nasty (6 Hour drive from DSM)
-MIOBI (1 Hour Drive from DSM, for those that are MIOBI members)

Sounds good to me, we just got back from New Mexico last night. No off roading though:(
I almost have the passenger side dent pounded out, time for a new one! It's going to need some paint, though.

Art,
No way that Flat Nasty is a 6 hour drive from Des Moines. Hell, it's 3 hours from St. Louis and St. Louis is 2 hours from Hannibal.

On another note, there's a new park here in Missouri called Washita Offroad Park. I went on a trail build with the local Jeep club a couple of weeks ago. We had a blast just starting to develop the trails at this place. It's going to be a REALLY nice park. Lots of rocks and very little mud. I had a great time. I think this will be the place to host an all-Toyota event sometime during 2008. I'll keep you posted on that one. Anyway, the place is about an hour and a half south of St. Louis. They're working on building a campground and putting in a lake for the campground. The park itself is over 1200 acres right now with more to come in the near future. New trails are being worked on as we speak and work will continue throughout the year this year and most of 08. I'll be helping any chance I get. You get in for free for the trail builds and he's even been giving us another free day pass for another date for helping out. The owner is a really nice guy and is very eager to see the place take off. I'll be helping him in any way possible to do that. They have a website up but it's still pretty basic. www.washitatrails.com I'll keep you posted on it as I learn more.

Josh

Actually I have been down to FN the past two years and it is about 6 hours and 45 minutes from DM according to my gps. I did it last year with the Super Swampers on and it did seem longer than that.

Actually I have been down to FN the past two years and it is about 6 hours and 45 minutes from DM according to my gps. I did it last year with the Super Swampers on and it did seem longer than that.

Then that would put Des Moines at less than 4 hours from St. Louis?

EDIT: Apparently I'm all washed up. I just put the thing in to Google Maps and it came up with 7 hours from Des Moines to Salem. News to me. Of course, that's not taking you through Hannibal and St. Louis and such. That's taking 63 all the way down....which, of course, can't be done from Hannibal OR St. Louis. Good deal for you guys. It's about 5 hours from Hannibal on the roads that you have to take. It's about 3 just from St. Louis due to the roads. Kinda sucks.

BOTTOM LINE: I stand corrected. :D

I just rechecked the numbers to Farmington, MO (Washita) from Des Moines and it's right at 7 hours as well. Still not bad. Now I'm gonna check and see what Google says about the trip from Hannibal to Salem and from St. Louis to Salem and Farmington. I drive that all the time so I'm very familiar with how long it takes. That'll give me an idea of how close Google is to reality. :)

EDIT: All I can say is that Google definitely gives some best-case scenarios on timing. Mileage would seem to not be disputable but I've driven those roads a LOT. Most of them are 2 lane and if you get stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle or a logging truck or semi, you're screwed. Most of them are winding roads with very few, if any, SAFE passing zones. Anyway, it doesn't appear as if the times are as horrible as I thought. :)

Last edited:
Lance and I would absolutely be up for a trip to any of those places sometime this winter. :)

Winterized now!

I think I can call it ready for the winter.

DSC01876.jpg

Hard doors, and my ARB bullbar to push anything out of the way.

Just need 50+ degree weather to paint doors and top.
DSC01876.jpg

Wow, I like that ARB!

With that horn and that bull bar you shouldn't have any problems getting ______ out your way...:D

I've seen that FJ in person and it's dingin' sweet. I think I liked it better without that cow catcher but I can understand wanting some protection. I just noticed that we have the same wheels on our Toy's.

I'd be up for some wheelin' too, tho my rig is spitting power steering fluid at a fairly prodigious rate in addition to the engine oil leak I already have. Oh well. Nothing a little more fluid won't take care of I guess. When I get my garage heated, I'll be able to work on this stuff in the winter too.

I'd be up for some wheelin' too, tho my rig is spitting power steering fluid at a fairly prodigious rate in addition to the engine oil leak I already have. Oh well. Nothing a little more fluid won't take care of I guess. When I get my garage heated, I'll be able to work on this stuff in the winter too.
Where is the steering fluid leaking from? Steering box or steering pump? You can rebuild the steering boxes for fairly cheap. I think I have a couple boxes and a couple pumps laying around. I can probably spare selling one.

Anyone have plans on going to Hannibal for New Years?

I'm planning on going up for the day. If you DO decide to go, just to give you a heads up, it's a VERY busy day at the park. There will probably be somewhere between 100 and 200 rigs at the park that day. There's only 60+ acres there so keep that ratio in mind. It will be, however, a really great day of hanging out with other wheelin' folks. I went up last year and all of the trails were packed. The earlier the better on New Years Day.

Josh

Larry and I went to this last year, which was the "Grand Opening" for the new park. We arrived on the 31st and there wasn't hardly anyone there, come the 1st, it was like Josh said, 200+ rigs, waiting in line to head down a trail.

Really, REALLY not my idea of wheeling.

Agreed, while everyone else is there, maybe we should hit MIOBI......of course, the snow/ice might make it a little too much fun, but I need to try out the new 285's anyway.

Tony

I did MIOBI in slippery conditions once already. Big fat goose egg in the quarter panel to say I was there. Not in my DD, thanks!

One day when I have a dedicated wheeler I can quit caring so much about body damage...

Ahhh, and I had thought you made that trip dent-free. Damn, sorry to hear. I really really like your rig. Better than any others I saw that day or that I see here.

I'm fixing to sell an that '83 pickup that's been around my place (spare vehicle for me and my roomate) for a couple of years. I did wheel it and thrashed it and body is in bad shape. But it's still a good platform for the non-buggy crowd. Because it's a piece of crap, I'll sell it really cheap. So, just keep thinking about a dedicated vehicle.

I did MIOBI in slippery conditions once already. Big fat goose egg in the quarter panel to say I was there. Not in my DD, thanks!

One day when I have a dedicated wheeler I can quit caring so much about body damage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom