Winter Diesel and fuel economy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am tripping back and forth to the ski hill. My 81 is getting 12.4L/100kms. I hear of other people in the summer getting better fuel economy. I drive at a steady 90 - 100kms hour slowing down for the big hills and such. does anybody realize an increase in fuel economy during the summer comparing to the winter? I know that there are more additives in winter diesel to prevent it from jelling and waxing out. I have also found out running a fuel additive (Howes) i get considerably better fuel economy with my truck.

If they work --> is it worth it

"Whether it's gas or diesel, fuel additives are highly recommended around here. Diesel fuel additives boost cetane, provide better lubricity and pull moisture out of solution so it can become trapped in the water separator more efficiently. "

quote from one of these additives above.

work the numbers : say $50 to fill tank. Get 25 mpg. at $2.5/gallon for 20 gallon tank. Say you get extra 10% better fuel economy with additive (in an ideal additive study).
500 miles without additive. 550 miles with additive (10% better).
So its like getting 2 extra gallons of gas with additive which is worth $5. How much did you pay for the additive? was it less than 5 then your ahead. As your price of gas goes up then additives become a better deal.

Winter grade diesel usually cost more and less mileage to the tank,most gas stations don't offer the winter fuel unless you are in the Northern areas that have extreme cold only the truck stops offer the winter fuel

At the Chevron cardlock at Nordel scale the seasonal diesel is good for -12. It is a good thing that you are using Howes because winter fuel is considerably thinner and when your cruiser is at operating temp it gives you protection (lubricity).

Because I am based in Abbotsford but do most of my work driving into the interior, I checked this out quite some time ago with the local servos. The Husky, Esso, Superstore and Shell servos all claim they are only pumping winter diesel once we hit November. They can not assume that the diesel they pump is only going to be used in the relatively temperate Lower Mainland. I belive that they are legally obliged to warn customers if they are only pumping summer grade diesel. And yes, your fuel economy and power goes down becuase of the simple fact that winter grade diesel has less BTUs. My neighbours FORD diesel seems to be affected a lot more by the winter grade diesel than mine. Many people think that a cetane additve will fix their power and economy woes. Increasing the cetane will do nothing to replace the BTUs. So if someone says putting in a cetane additive will give you back your fuel economy and power, they don't understand how a diesel works or how cetane works. Cetane is not comparable to octane in gasoline.

When you go to card locks in the winter in the lower mainland you will see pumps that have Diesel and pumps with winter blend,I can't speak for the valley but in town I can't get confirmation on any change over to winter grade,summer blend diesel will operate with no issues in our general winters,the transports trucks I used to drive never had any issues in town and my cruisers never had problems when I went up north in extreme cold with summer blend.

outhere in the farmland we get three different grades of fuel. summer fall diesel and winter.
I have my own bulk diesel at home and can definatley tell the differnce.
had my jetta gel up the other day at minus 26 C. of course the filter is on the fender. I was suppose to be running fall diesel? but who really knows it was delivered in mid oct.
my bj60 runs summer diesel as long as I can. last winter at minus 34C I could feel it gelling up, turned around and added some winter diesel to it. but that was definatly summer gelling up. It is a huge differance in how long it lasts. If you really want to find out same some pure winter fuel and run a tank out in the summer. I would guess it will burn at double the rate.

I drive Kamloops to Quesnel in BC quite often summer and winter
in the summer going up some of the long hills loaded pulling a trailer i watch the boost gauge get very close and somtimes touch 20psi boost usually i gear down because as cool as 20 psi seems i actually want to arrive with my engine still hitting on all 4 cylinders
last week i drove that same route and the weather was -17 in Kamloops and -23 in Ques
going up the hills i noticed the boost only goes to about 15 -17 psi
I would think with the cooler temps the boost would be higher
also i notice from one tank to another the boost seems to fluctuate, i think its fuel quality that makes the boost gauge fluctuate
one tank of fuel i got in Ques was -40 Diesel
also in the summer i can quite often get 11L/100K and in the winter the best i can do is usually about
13L/100K
3B, turbo, air to air from a Volvo, wastegate wired shut, and fuel cranked pretty much wide open

those are the numbers i have noticed
i keep a fairly close eye on milage with mine because the fuel gauge doesnt work anymore
its sort of like riding a motorcycle....... fueling up when the odometer says so
Austin

of course you will get poorer fuel economy in winter...
think it through, espec if you don't live in Vancouver, thicker gear lube in the diffs, tranny and transfer, oil thicker at start up, idle time for warm up, more resistance when driving in snow, more slippage when driving on ice, THEN winter grade diesel. all adds to the lost of useable power to distance covered ratio.
i am surprised that the mileage isn't even worse in winter than it is...

now back to your normal fuel quality debate.

of course you will get poorer fuel economy in winter...
think it through, espec if you don't live in Vancouver, thicker gear lube in the diffs, tranny and transfer, oil thicker at start up, idle time for warm up, more resistance when driving in snow, more slippage when driving on ice, THEN winter grade diesel. all adds to the lost of useable power to distance covered ratio.
i am surprised that the mileage isn't even worse in winter than it is...

now back to your normal fuel quality debate.

thanks wayne!

I just managed to do 11.4L/100kms on my last trip to the ski hill.
pretty fired up about that. I filled the tank up to the tits both times for better accuracy.
i love my truck.

I have an HDJ81, with 35s, RTT and ARB bumper re-geared diff. I only get about 400km to the tank....wondering if anyone else is getting such terrible mileage.

@Pitbull1981
Try taking off the RTT and see what difference if any there might be. RTT’s are giant sails that will suck the fuel right out of your tank in the form of wind resistance. This of course depends on the weight and shape of said RTT as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom