AltFuel Winter biodiesel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost through the third winter of running B20 biodiesel blends without any problems. The reports of people having problems with biodiesel is because they're not doing it right. The simple solution is blending to B50 in a barrel stored outside, then cold filtering through 5µ from the barrel into the vehicle tank.

Please tell me you are blending bio20 (20% biodiesel?) with veg80 (80% Straight Veggie oil) in the winter! That would be epic.

Of course not in the world where I live. Today was the anniversary -81° F --- February 3,1947... but was balmy at zero.

Running a diesel anywhere with that much VO in the cylinder on shut-down or start-up, would soon clog and stick the rings with charred VO and lose compression. To run much more than 15% to 20% VO there has to be a diesel purge system. I chose not to go with that extra complication and expense. All I added was a FPHE to heat the fuel blend.

My current winter blend which I use to thirty below is 25% canola biodiesel, 25% recycled helicopter fuel jetB [equivalent to 75% kerosene & 25%premium petrol], and 50% ULSD winter diesel.

My current summer blend is 38% canola biodiesel, 16% UVO, 16% recycled helicopter fuel jetB , and 30% ULSD summer diesel.

This gives me the best economy without loss of power, with the least change to the fuel system [lowest cost], and the greatest reliability in winter extremes. It gives me a 25% to 50% 'discount' off pump price, for a little extra work, and that's good enough for me.

yup.....some factory diesel manuals say you can run 20% gas mixed in with diesel some others say 30%. It dissolves nicely in the svo and thins it so it won't gel at lower temperatures. There are good youtube video demonstrations of this. It appears that the trouble, expense and risk of making biodiesel may not be worth it to some.......specifically me.

You can get away with that in a warm to hot climate with good, clean, dry UVO.
However biodiesel blends work much better in temperatures below freezing.

I'm still using biodiesel all year long to temperatures as low as -25. The mix varies through out the seasons.
I'm sure I could run bio year round also but I usually use the Winter months to replenish my inventory. Hopefully by mid March I'll have 150-200 gallons on hand.

In the warmer months I run 44% SVO, 44% ULSD with 11% RUG; this mix gives me 45.6 mpg for fuel I purchase..............as soon as it's -10 Celsius the blend changes to 39% SVO, 49% ULSD with 12% RUG; or 42.2 mpg for purchased fuel.
If the mix isn't right and there's not enough RUG or too much SVO, it will run poorly, smell more and have bad mileage before it clogs or will not start at all.
I do not see any advantage in making biodiesel and blending it instead of using SVO.

This is for an unmodified fuel system in a 85 60 series and an 84 40 series. In order to do this there is a fine mesh screen that needs removed from the fuel pickup in the fuel tank otherwise eventually it will clog. My fuel is dry and filtered to better specs. than the in tank filter screen so it's a redundancy.

Last edited:
In the summer months I run 95% biodiesel with 5% ULSD which gives me 642 mpg for fuel I purchase.
With B100 it gets ∞ mpg, and warp drive is theoretically possible.

hey what do you know, a joke from JG; that's a sign the apocalypse is upon us.
........AND it was funny.

.........and your winter blend?

hey what do you know, a joke from JG; that's a sign the apocalypse is upon us.
........AND it was funny.
I almost made the same comment!

Right now, I'm not running anything. It's been -40° up here and I don't even want to start my cruiser on winter Dino diesel! Seems cruel to make myself go out side let alone make my 24 year old vehicle try to do anything :/

I mostly liked that you used the symbol for infinity JG.

Throw a little RUG in there and they'll start and run better. You can use up to 20% RUG in ULSD without ruining anything. I suspect one could use a higher percentage in B100 and higher still in SVO without bothering anything.
I have personally never used any more than 20% as I guess I wasn't interested. I've heard of some guys running SVO all winter long and starting on it as long as they blend in 20% RUG. Just rumors as I've not done it.

My current winter blend which I can use to thirty below is 20% canola biodiesel, 20% recycled helicopter fuel jetB [equivalent to 75% kerosene & 25%premium petrol], and 60% ULSD winter diesel.

What quantity are you blending 55gal drum ?
Or are you erry can mixing small batch ?
I have run a two tank system purging straight wvo with diesel with good success in my bj60 .
I have moved to an hj60 and am Contemplating blends and a different system . Suggestions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom