WInsheild has no trim, rivets or screws! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I bought my truck a few months ago I didn’t even give the windshield and second thought. I just saw what appeared to be a pretty new replaced windshield with some jacked up roof gutter trim.

I started to wonder if something was up when i found myself in one of the heaviest torrential downpours of my life. I came to the conclusion I most likely had some water getting to my ECU because it was driving terribly! That seems to be a windshield problem based on my MUD searching. It drove fine the next day.

I started looking at my windshield and it appears to have no rubber side trim and no rivets (or screws) in the holes along the A pillar. I’ve also got some surface rust on the painted part of the A pillar where the installer dug his tools into the body. The rubber trim that goes up to the roof of pretty jacked up too. Strangely I don’t really have wind noise issues.

Should I just get a rivet gun and some rivets? Is there any risk of me screwing up my windshield doing it myself? I’d probably treat the holes for rust prevention and try to do the same along the side of the windsheild.

Do the rivets secure the windshield somehow?

You have to have your windshield removed By a quality installer, old sealant cleaned up and any rust issues addressed.

When I did mine I called 2 local Toyota body shops and asked for the manager to tell me who they use to fix cars on their lot. I called this individual and asked him if he has ever done a LC. "Yes I have and they suck" Answer I was looking for. Then I ordered all new factory trim dropped my car off, they did the rust repair and the installer put the windshield in. Total was 1k for trim and rust repair. It was pretty bad. No more leaks for me now.

The trim really doesn't seal any water out. The windshield is actually glued in. You could put the rivets in yourself but better off having it removed by a shop and them doing the complete job.

These are mouldings for my 2000LC

IMG_20170709_184234_172.jpg

IMG_20170709_183954_254.jpg

IMG_20170709_183630_567.jpg

IMG_20170709_183936_916.jpg

IMG_20170709_184007_171.jpg

Kind of what I was afraid to hear! Our winters can be pretty salty in MD, looks like I might need to get this done sooner than later. I’ll need to look at the carfax and see if there is a windshield replacement in there. I wonder if safelite did it, if there is any type of warranty on it that would transfer tot

You have to have your windshield removed By a quality installer, old sealant cleaned up and any rust issues addressed.

When I did mine I called 2 local Toyota body shops and asked for the manager to tell me who they use to fix cars on their lot. I called this individual and asked him if he has ever done a LC. "Yes I have and they suck" Answer I was looking for. Then I ordered all new factory trim dropped my car off, they did the rust repair and the installer put the windshield in. Total was 1k for trim and rust repair. It was pretty bad. No more leaks for me now.

The trim really doesn't seal any water out. The windshield is actually glued in. You could put the rivets in yourself but better off having it removed by a shop and them doing the complete job.

These are mouldings for my 2000LC

View attachment 1548916

View attachment 1548917

View attachment 1548919

View attachment 1548921

View attachment 1548922
Is this the complete parts list other than the glass? What about the trim pieces that go from the upper corners of glass back to the first roof rack towers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom