Windy times and Roof Top Tents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TemboTusk

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
www.tembotusk.com
I have recently installed an Eezi Awn tent on my FJ-60. I have used it only once so far.
But, that is going to be changing!

I will be going down to Baja in mid October just past San Felipe. It often gets very windy at times.

My question is: on very windy nights, can the rain fly and window awnings be set up or must they be left in the ‘un-sprung’ position and lashed down.

For those of you who are old hands at roof top camping may think this is elementary, but, I would rather learn from your wisdom than learn the hard way! It would also be great hear how you all handle extreme weather conditions, whether it is rain, wind or something else.

Thanks,

Im sure Paul from www.equipt1.com can help you out with that, We had a very windy weekend out on the trail that included A LOT of wind, But IIRC he left his down so it wasnt an parachute.
Paul has also done a very similar trip and said it was awesome!
Good luck

In even the lightest wind, my Eezi-Awn`s rainfly/awnings flap like a mother ... wind will "unspring" the metal rods from their fly-mounted eyelets :mad: I suppose if you somehow "anchored" or locked the rods to both the fly and tent frame under some tension, they might not fall down as easily... but more than likely they will still flap like crazy (plus make a lot of noise) during moderate to high winds :confused:

Now.... if no rain is in the forecast (but wind is)... I just take the fly off and enjoy a much quieter nights` sleep :D

Anyone else find a way to calm the flapping flys in the wind ?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response. That helps a lot. I had not thought about removing the rain fly. In Baja, the chance of rain is often rare while wind is rather high. I’m going to have a week to experiment!

In even the lightest wind, my Eezi-Awn`s rainfly/awnings flap like a mother ... wind will "unspring" the metal rods from their fly-mounted eyelets :mad: I suppose if you somehow "anchored" or locked the rods to both the fly and tent frame under some tension, they might not fall down as easily... but more than likely they will still flap like crazy (plus make a lot of noise) during moderate to high winds :confused:

Now.... if no rain is in the forecast (but wind is)... I just take the fly off and enjoy a much quieter nights` sleep :D

Anyone else find a way to calm the flapping flys in the wind ?

What about linking the top of the awning/overhang poles with a horizontal pole: Would this help keep it more taught? When I recently looked at the Eezi-Awn here in Reno I noticed this might be an issue in wind and/or rain. This was not a problem with the Overland...and it had an aluminum pole across the top that kept the three side very taught.

What about linking the top of the awning/overhang poles with a horizontal pole: Would this help keep it more taught? When I recently looked at the Eezi-Awn here in Reno I noticed this might be an issue in wind and/or rain. This was not a problem with the Overland...and it had an aluminum pole across the top that kept the three side very taught.

I`ve been pondering on a simple solution for this issue Spress... next time I`m out, I think I`ll try that to see if it helps. I considered using guy wires/rope attached to the vehicle or ground to put tension on the rods, but after a "typical" night in the bush (I.E. drinking all evening ), the fewer hazards around camp.. the better :D

Could you change out the spring rods. My Mare RTT uses 1/2 alm. pipe to keep the awnings tight.
RTTKinder crossing 015 (Small).jpg

Not to bring this tread back from the grave, but I thought I might give an update on how my Eezi Awn tent did in some Baja winds.

I spent a week camping about 40 miles past San Felipe, it was great for the first couple of days. Then the wind started. I could not see more than a hundred yards because of the dust, much less stand up straight without leaning into the wind. The gusts could knock you over. The local news indicated wind gusts up to 80 miles an hour.

I did not use the rain fly. The tent showed no indications of stress mounted to the roof of my 60. This is not to say it was not a wild ride! Because of the roar of the wind, the flapping of the tent and shaking of the vehicle… a good night’s sleep was not had. After three days of heavy heavy wind, I made by way back to San Felipe and rented a room just to get some sleep.

The Eezi Awn tent came through this event with flying colors. I was never worried that it would collapse, tear, or not perform as expected. I was very impressed. As for the noise of the tent in the wind; I don’t know of any tent that would be silent in the wind.

The picture with two Cruisers is just before the wind started. The other picture is during the maelstrom. I have never seen the Sea of Cortez so angry.
02.jpg
01.jpg

Old thread but a new problem for me. My Camping Labs (standard Chinese tent) rainly flaps hard and loud in the wind. Not the sprung pieces, but the material that's on top of the tent. I've had some luck stuffing towels between the tent and the rainfly. But I think if I know it's going to be windy, and no rain.... I'm just going to take it off while it's deployed. Looks just like 6 straps and the fly and poles will come right out.

Old thread but a new problem for me. My Camping Labs (standard Chinese tent) rainly flaps hard and loud in the wind. Not the sprung pieces, but the material that's on top of the tent. I've had some luck stuffing towels between the tent and the rainfly. But I think if I know it's going to be windy, and no rain.... I'm just going to take it off while it's deployed. Looks just like 6 straps and the fly and poles will come right out.

TXLX100, removing the rain fly helps a lot, however when it is windy, it will still make a bit of noise. I did removed the fly when camping in Baja a few years ago and it did make it bearable! I've hear of people putting in earplugs to cut the noise. Works for loud camp neighbors as well!

TXLX100, removing the rain fly helps a lot, however when it is windy, it will still make a bit of noise. I did removed the fly when camping in Baja a few years ago and it did make it bearable! I've hear of people putting in earplugs to cut the noise. Works for loud camp neighbors as well!

I have SEVERAL sets of earplugs in our RTT. Wind, crickets, night birds, rowdy neighbors, and my bad sleep habits definitely require ear plugs. I even carry a set of firearm ear muffs in case it gets real loud. I see your business has been KILLING IT lately Gerry, nice work!

I have SEVERAL sets of earplugs in our RTT. Wind, crickets, night birds, rowdy neighbors, and my bad sleep habits definitely require ear plugs. I even carry a set of firearm ear muffs in case it gets real loud.

one night i have ear muffs and ear plugs.. it was that windy...funny story the tent folded in on itself before i had a chance to throw my pack into the tent.. i was just facing the right direction.

One of the reasons we moved from the Eezi-Awn to the Maggiolina, night and day better performance in inclement weather.

During a trip to Kanab Point last May we had lots of wind all night. Nice and quiet in our Maggiolina but our pal with an Eezi-Awn didn't get any sleep due to the noise. It was pretty crazy, wish I'd had a Kestrel with me to get an accurate number on the wind speed.

When we had an Eezi-Awn I would make guy lines out of 550 cord to limit the canvas flaps' travel, thus preventing the spring steel rods from leaving in the middle of the night. It made a big difference.

I have recently installed an Eezi Awn tent on my FJ-60. I have used it only once so far.
But, that is going to be changing!

I will be going down to Baja in mid October just past San Felipe. It often gets very windy at times.

My question is: on very windy nights, can the rain fly and window awnings be set up or must they be left in the ‘un-sprung’ position and lashed down.

For those of you who are old hands at roof top camping may think this is elementary, but, I would rather learn from your wisdom than learn the hard way! It would also be great hear how you all handle extreme weather conditions, whether it is rain, wind or something else.

Thanks,
I camped out in my alucab during a 50kt storm down in Baja. Pretty terrifying but stayed dry and no problems with the tent

Reactions: RFB
Guylines to the rainfly is a great idea. I guess I could take my rainfly to a upholstery shop and have some more material and grommets installed and try that before making a whole new rainfly.

Guylines to the rainfly is a great idea. I guess I could take my rainfly to a upholstery shop and have some more material and grommets installed and try that before making a whole new rainfly.

Could you not just wrap some 550 cord all the way over the top and underneath the tent, then provide some tension on it ? Essentially compressing the rain fly down towards the tent.

Its amazing how far back you boys were up top, rooftop life is the only way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom