Windshiled mounted Sideview Mirrors - OEM or Aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious as to what y'all's experience has been, since my 1978 has its hard doors coming off. The price difference is huge, so wondering if it is worth it for someone who is not trying to restore for show. What I am most interested in is the quality of the set itself from fit and durability perspectives.Any thoughts, experiences, and recommendations either here or via PM appreciated.Thank you!

I bought the Toyota ones and the mirror itself broke after a few bushes hit them but the arms are super tough. I just put big rig convex mirrors on them (no blind spots) and love them. I won't trade them for any other outside mirrors. If you look in my garage it has a photo of the 40 with the mirrors on.

Curious as to what y'all's experience has been, since my 1978 has its hard doors coming off. The price difference is huge, so wondering if it is worth it for someone who is not trying to restore for show. What I am most interested in is the quality of the set itself from fit and durability perspectives.Any thoughts, experiences, and recommendations either here or via PM appreciated.Thank you!

At least 3 members of our local group are running CCOT's windshield hinge mounted mirrors, with no complaints. One guy has had them for at least 5 years and they still look new and function perfectly.

I bought OEM, just because I prefer the retro look.

I bought the CCOT ones and, while they're ok and do what I want (mostly), I have had to come to accept their deficiencies. Mine have straight arms which caused me to have to grind the sockets on the plastic mirror head a little bit to get the mirrors to angle in enough that I could see backwards and not sideways. I've looked at some others that bought these mirrors after me and I *think* they fixed this and bent the arm a little bit to account for this.

I've also had a hard time tightening them down enough so they don't get pushed down by the force of the wind while I'm driving. I even resorted to epoxying them in place so they wouldn't get pushed down. I've had to replace my glass on several occasions (one time involving a hi-lift jack :eek:) and one plastic mirror head recently, so I'm still fighting this issue.

But I think it's worth it if your doors come off often. For me, they work just good enough to keep the police from pulling me over due to a lack of mirrors. :meh:

I bought the CCOT ones and, while they're ok and do what I want (mostly), I have had to come to accept their deficiencies. Mine have straight arms which caused me to have to grind the sockets on the plastic mirror head a little bit to get the mirrors to angle in enough that I could see backwards and not sideways.

I think we're talking about different CCOT mirrors. The mirrors I was speaking of have metal heads, and they'll mount on 40 doors or windshield hinges. Here's the CCOT catalog pic...

coolfj40_2160_1815231

yeah, this is the one I have and was talking about:
coolfj40_2163_233599595

From the looks of this picture, the arm doesn't have the bend in it like the other ones I saw on another fella's FJ40 last week did.

What years of FJ40 had the metal head style?

I think we're talking about different CCOT mirrors. The mirrors I was speaking of have metal heads, and they'll mount on 40 doors or windshield hinges. Here's the CCOT catalog pic...

coolfj40_2160_1815231

I have the CCOT arms and heads pictured, but mine are mounted on the windshield.

Observations.

The mirrors that come with the arms are flat. I found the visibility very poor, especially on the passenger side where traditionally we get a convex mirror. I went online and found the exact same mirror in a convex and ordered one to install on the passenger side. LOVE 'EM so much I ordered a second mirror for the drivers side. OK, not convention, and objects really are closer than they appear, but I have excellent visibility now.

As far as Matt's observation that they don't tighten down. I had this problem at first, but now, not so much. There are three screws on the head that tighten down the ball and socket on the mirror. No issues. I also didn't have any problem getting them aligned and didn't need to modify them with a grinder.

The only real issue I have is the rubber ring around the edge. One is now in the mud of a Baja oasis. They do not stay on. I might try some glue on the remaining ring to see if it will stay on. Any brush with a bush will take them off.

just to clarify, the metal head looks to have screws that are adjustable, but the plastic head is a different design that I have yet to figure out how to make tighten down properly. I have the screws about as tight as I can get them - they are small.

the mirror heads are also known as Jeep mirrors - some $15 to replace :meh:

I smacked one on the trail, and I also have the problem of the rim coming off all the time :rolleyes: and of the mirror being blown down by wind - no amount of tightening has helped :meh:

oh well, just gotta turn the head :doh:

just to clarify, the metal head looks to have screws that are adjustable, but the plastic head is a different design that I have yet to figure out how to make tighten down properly. I have the screws about as tight as I can get them - they are small.

Ran into the same problem myself. As soon as I started moving, so did they :bang: Never could get them fully tightened to where they would stay. Almost seemed like I was going to start cracking the plastic.

Jonny

yeah, this is the one I have and was talking about:
coolfj40_2163_233599595

From the looks of this picture, the arm doesn't have the bend in it like the other ones I saw on another fella's FJ40 last week did.

What years of FJ40 had the metal head style?

I have the same mirror arm (only one, drivers side) and I love it. But I bought it used with no mirror head so I bought some cheap small convex ones and love them. They are metal and stay in place...wouldnt consider plastic. Also, when out in the bush...why...would you need mirrors so much? I fold mine down and then it don't get caught up in the brances. I can turn my head enough to make sure I cleared my rear corner of a tree without a mirror :meh: my 2 cents :)
By the way, my 67 had OEM mirrors that where similar but mounted on the side below the windsheild hinge...had a little extra piece of metal plate between the mirror arm base and the body, I have seen pics of that type on here.

Thanks, All, for the Feedback

Ended up getting the CCOT set for now, and should have them on in a few weekends once work gives me a breather. May switch out the heads at some point, but for now I can at least be street legal.

When you assemble those plastic head mirrors, put a small lock washer in the socket before you snap it on the arm. It helps keep it tight. Still not perfect, but much better.

I just installed mine yesterday! These are the CCOT arms and heads. They actually came with a lock washer in the hole that the ball snaps into and so far no issues with tightness, though I haven't been on the highway yet...
I initially mounted them to the windshield hinge where they are designed to be, but like the posts above I couldn't get the passenger side adjusted enough to be useful.
So I mounted them as shown which was a piece of cake and I think looks nicer.
photo.jpg
photo.jpg

just a split lock washer? Or a toothed lock washer? Any idea on the size?

mine also came with a regular ol' lock washer when i bought them.. looks to be about an M8 size lock washer. i rotated my mirror heads 90* so that they're sideways and they no longer move!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom