Windshield wipers.......the park position (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I have a quick wiper question. When using the windshield wipers on my 87 FJ60 this morning, I realized that the wipers won’t return to the park position automatically as they should when the switch is turned off. In order to get them to rest in the parked position I need to do it manually by stopping the wipers quickly when they are in the parked position.
I am confused at to the cause. Is it an issue in the wiper motor or switch?

Thank you,
Greg

Do they stop in the same place every time or just random location?
Random then I would suggest failed wiper motor not being able to find the 'open seeking' location.
Same place, possibly wiper arms installed wrong off position.

Do they stop in the same place every time or just random location?
Random then I would suggest failed wiper motor not being able to find the 'open seeking' location.
Same place, possibly wiper arms installed wrong off position.
They stop wherever they happen to be located when you shut them off.

Mine do this exact same thing. I've gotten to the point where I automatically wait to hit the switch until they bottom out. Don't be like me. I even do this in my other vehicles now. It's a disease.

Is the wiper motor rebuildable?

it is most likely in the contact plate. the 40 series motor can be taken apart and cleaned, I don't see why the 60 motor couldn't be done.
worst case, you get a good used one, plenty are available in classifieds.

Yeah mine does this too, 83 fj60, I rebuilt my wiper relay awhile ago and it didn't solve it, must be the motor. I've learned to live with it

X3 on wiper motor. I too tried to fix it with the relay with no success. Motor cannot be rebuilt.
It was a little bit of a pain but very doable. Pull the whole wiper linkage out and re-lubricate the joints while you are replacing the motor.

I have 1990 62 and I just got a new to me motor and installed it but it didn't fix my issue. My issue is that the wipers don't park at all after you turn them on until you turn off the engine completely. If its sprinkling, i just leave it off...other wise they will stay on and you have to shut off the car at the next stop light. They have turned off and parked, once....randomly. Any ideas?

There are two sets of contacts in the wiper motor, and when you turn off the wipers, this secondary set is engaged and the primary set turned off, and this secondary set runs until the wipers self park and then shut off. I have seen rarely-used wipers (in collector vehicles never driven in the rain) where the self-park contacts aren't clean and don't conduct electricity - so the wipers won't self-park.

The only fix is to carefully take apart the motor and study and find (and clean) these contacts, and make all wiring going to the wiper motor is intact and providing voltage or grounding as needed.

There are two sets of contacts in the wiper motor, and when you turn off the wipers, this secondary set is engaged and the primary set turned off, and this secondary set runs until the wipers self park and then shut off. I have seen rarely-used wipers (in collector vehicles never driven in the rain) where the self-park contacts aren't clean and don't conduct electricity - so the wipers won't self-park.

The only fix is to carefully take apart the motor and study and find (and clean) these contacts, and make all wiring going to the wiper motor is intact and providing voltage or grounding as needed.

Thats definitely not what I wanted to hear...lol gotta install my OME first. then I will tackle this damn thing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom