Windshield wipers arm problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a torque value for the nut that keeps the arms mounted on the spindle? Mine keeps coming loose when in use and ends up getting caught in the drivers side wiper . On my second arm so I don't think that is the problem.

I performed the 4Rnr upgrade,,, from an '86.
Meh. It works, but not ideal.
The original LC wiper arms have a 'j' bend to them which helps position the wiper vert. and horiz.
As for the torque spec. it isn't much. Perhaps the splines are worn smooth, allowing the torquey wiper arm to loosen?
You could try cutting worn splines with a file.
HTH

Well yeah, meh, wipers.
But the 4runner wipers are a definite upgrade, as is the 80 series rear arm.
Mostly better because the springs are stronger so more "down force" on window.
Originals would ride over snow, upgraded wipers are better at cutting down through snow and rain.
Just do it!

I also upgraded the linkage as outlined here:
Wiper Linkage Overhaul
I hope not to need to look at my wipers again for a long time.

I have one extra set of left 4Runner wiper arms, nuts and dust covers. PM me. One of the best things I’ve ever done. Works amazingly. Full coverage, no missed water droplets.

The arm axles have just a tiny grease groove machined inside them, and if caps have rotted off, the grease may be gone on them.

I think you have to pull the whole arm assy to get to the little compression wires to remove them with an awl and fine flat screwdriver.

It doesn't hurt to regrease all the pivot points before winter, but rubber rot will require a needle fitting on grease gun. Unless there is a good canned bike grease w fitting out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom