Windshield Wiper Troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone has experience troubleshooting/replacing/fixing windshield wipers motor?

Symptoms: User to work very slowly
Current Condition: Flipping to different speeds does not do anything, Washer fluid comes out when pressing the button

1629984328584.png

The motor makes an attempt to move but windshield wipers do not move ... both in Low Speed or High speed ...
I bet the motor is giving up. Are the linkage joints in good condition? If they get dirty or rusty they can cause problems. Also, there’s a plastic bushing that tends to break. That part is no longer available but I recall seeing a thread where someone was 3D printing replacements for a good deal.

1. Motor Brushes are bad. You can find generic replacements on ebay, or 4crawleroffroad.com (specific to wiper motor/blower motor)
0r
2. The Grease inside the motor has turned to mud. (open wiper case, clean out old sludge, replace with a good silicone grease)
or
3. Wiper pivot is aluminum, Wiper shafts are steel. If you can, undo the wiper pivot arm at the wiper motor. Remove the wiper arms, pop off the black wiper pivot covers, undo the two 10mm bolts under each arm. Undo wiper harness, remove wiper motor, slide the entire assembly out. Make sure the assembly moves freely inside the aluminum pivots. Clean if needed. You can also remove the wiper pivot arm from the motor and look at just the motor. If you take the motor off/out. You can push pull on the wiper linkage to see if it moves freely before removing trying to remove the wiper linkage assembly.
or
4. The ground wire from the motor to body needs to be refreshed (easy)

Has anyone dealt with windshield wipers that "over-rotate". I recently added the 4-Runner wiper arms. At this point they are about 1/3 of the way up the windshield, so that when the wiper arms are rotating downward they don't go past the windshield and onto the Cowl.

Having trouble adjusting them, so that they do not over-extend past the Driver Side or Bottom of the window.

You can see how far they rotate to the Left in the image and how high up they are sitting when not in use.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 10.10.33 AM.png

Has anyone dealt with windshield wipers that "over-rotate". I recently added the 4-Runner wiper arms. At this point they are about 1/3 of the way up the windshield, so that when the wiper arms are rotating downward they don't go past the windshield and onto the Cowl.

Having trouble adjusting them, so that they do not over-extend past the Driver Side or Bottom of the window.

You can see how far they rotate to the Left in the image and how high up they are sitting when not in use.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!

View attachment 2791424

Pull off the wiper arms and cycle the wiper motor a couple of times and turn it off. Now reinstall the arms lower and more parallel to the cowl. This has worked for me in the past.

Pull off the wiper arms and cycle the wiper motor a couple of times and turn it off. Now reinstall the arms lower and more parallel to the cowl. This has worked for me in the past.
Good to note. I need to do this upgrade soon. I can’t stand driving in snow with crap wipers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom